Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The New WC - AKA Wives Club

We also have a Sonic, never have been there, although I understand they have females on skates waiting on cars. I've often wanted to see what that's all about. Maybe i'll check them out this weekend.

Floyd (BB)

For the old timers that grew up in Illinois and Indiana I am sure most of us remember Steak and Shake that had both boys and girls on roller skates that took our orders and brought our food to us. We had to raise the window up slightly so the trays would hook on the windows with a small rod that went down and pressed against the door to hold the tray level. This of course started in 1934 and continued thru the sixties. Back then the steak burgers and the shakes were the best to be found. Years ago Sonic built a joint in Salida, CO and it did not stay in business very long. They came back a few years ago and the last I heard are doing a good business. I still prefer to eat inside at a table, where the food is a better quality. When I wintered in Florida we referred to Cracker Barrel as Crapper Barrel. Different people, Different Taste. Good thing everyone doesn't like the same thing so we have a variety of places to choose from.

Cubster: We still can't get into the lot without waiting in a line of cars that are parked outside of the parking area and proceeds down a side street .... This is the only Sonic Burger in San Diego County ..... Maybe we will have to cruise by a 1 a.m. .... uh, no .... zzzzzzzzzzz ! :lol:

Oh ... I know this isn't haute cuisine, but I do love love their Cherry-Limeade - it's really refreshing on hot days .... and oh, yeah, I like the fries too!

Floyd .... we "hear" that the girl carhops are on skates .... but with all of the people in the parking lot we haven't been able verify that ....

Robin: .... I met Ray at Oscar's in 1965 ... a drive-in restaurant with car hops where all of the kids hung out .... he was parked in the car next to me and my girlfriend (she had a NEW Barracuda!) ... 2 cherry cokes later and voila'!

Hmmmm, maybe that's why I still have such a fondness for cars, burgers .... and Ray. :blinzel:

In NJ Stewarts orange-colored restaurants still have car-hops delivering food to your car on trays. I miss them as they had the BEST chili dogs!! I also sorely miss almost any pizza made in the Garden State. Terrible pizza here in Florida!! :pukeface:

Floyd (BB)

Ruthie,

The few times I drove by and checked out Sonic there were not many cars in there. So maybe I'll actually get a look at the ladies. I sincerely hope they look a lot better than the female help at nearly any Dunkin Donuts!! :(:(

Floyd (BB)

For the old timers that grew up in Illinois and Indiana I am sure most of us remember Steak and Shake that had both boys and girls on roller skates that took our orders and brought our food to us. We had to raise the window up slightly so the trays would hook on the windows with a small rod that went down and pressed against the door to hold the tray level. This of course started in 1934 and continued thru the sixties. Back then the steak burgers and the shakes were the best to be found. Years ago Sonic built a joint in Salida, CO and it did not stay in business very long. They came back a few years ago and the last I heard are doing a good business. I still prefer to eat inside at a table, where the food is a better quality. When I wintered in Florida we referred to Cracker Barrel as Crapper Barrel. Different people, Different Taste. Good thing everyone doesn't like the same thing so we have a variety of places to choose from.
In Tucson a lot of Corvette Clubs meet at Sonic during the week because of there circular drive and they take all the spaces which the Sonic puts up tape to reserve parking for the Vettes they give free refills all night and 10% off the menu. Its a wonderful sight to see all these Vettes lined up backed in. I like there chillie dogs. :rocker:

Speedway

Fred

Cubster: We still can't get into the lot without waiting in a line of cars that are parked outside of the parking area and proceeds down a side street .... This is the only Sonic Burger in San Diego County ..... Maybe we will have to cruise by a 1 a.m. .... uh, no .... zzzzzzzzzzz ! :lol:

Oh ... I know this isn't haute cuisine, but I do love love their Cherry-Limeade - it's really refreshing on hot days .... and oh, yeah, I like the fries too!

Floyd .... we "hear" that the girl carhops are on skates .... but with all of the people in the parking lot we haven't been able verify that ....

Robin: .... I met Ray at Oscar's in 1965 ... a drive-in restaurant with car hops where all of the kids hung out .... he was parked in the car next to me and my girlfriend (she had a NEW Barracuda!) ... 2 cherry cokes later and voila'!

Hmmmm, maybe that's why I still have such a fondness for cars, burgers .... and Ray. :blinzel:

The Sonics in Phoenix still use roller skates. Ocean Water and Chili cheese tater tots for me :rocker:

I ordered a grill cheese sandwich in Flagstaff, AZ and it came out to the car with two pieces of dry toast with cheese between them.
Who would ever think of making a grill cheese this way. I got out of the car and brought the tray up to the window and and told them to put it where the sun doesn't shine.
We also have a Sonic, never have been there, although I understand they have females on skates waiting on cars. I've often wanted to see what that's all about. Maybe i'll check them out this weekend.

Floyd (BB)

You better not let my daughter here you call it Crapper Barrel or your the grass a and she's the lawn mower.:bash: That's the first negative I've heard about Cracker Barrel. It might not be luxury dinning but it's palatable and you can count on it to be the same every time you visit. Guess where we are having breakfast in Las Cruses?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cracker Barrel is pretty good .... I've noticed that they sort of change and add to their menu depending on what part of the country you are in ... that's a good thing ....

Again, hey, we're talking mass produced foods ... when you're traveling it makes sense to stop wherever you know the quality is good and the food is palatable .... We have our favorite breakfast cafe's here like you all do ... you know .... where you can order up something like orange crepes .... mmmmmmm, my personal favorite for breakfast ....
Otherwise, when traveling, I'm even okay with the provided breakfasts in the lobbys ... Or ... Ray and Kent's favorite The Waffle House (they do make extraordinary hashbrowns....) !:rocker: Oh, heck - here I go again .... exposing my "lack of "taste" ... :willy_nilly:

Out by O'Hare Airport, back in the '60s, I worked as a car hop and I remember the trays on the windows, but we didn't do the roller skates. I also remember drive-in-theaters and the speakers on the windows in the winter time, but never did see much of the movies that they were showing. :chuckle:laugh::chuckle:laugh::chuckle:laugh::reddevil:reddevil:reddevil

We are so quiet lately. I guess we are all saving ourselves for SanAntonio. :dunno::beerchug::hearseespk:

Saving ourselves? Uh-oh ..... :reddevil:laugh:

Why don't you tell us a little bit about YOUR weekend, SF? (or what you can remember :lol:...... Sounds like you had a blast!

Saving ourselves? Uh-oh ..... :reddevil:laugh:

Why don't you tell us a little bit about YOUR weekend, SF? (or what you can remember :lol:...... Sounds like you had a blast!
I did have a blast. I think I can remember it all.:confused: The beer was flowing. :willy_nilly::beerchug:

Well ... back to the Sonic Burger quest ... :cool: It's now been opened for over 3 weeks ... this morning at 8 when I went to pick up Ray's car - well guess what? The driveway was opened! But, alas, a burger and fries just did not appeal that early .... so, what then? Came home from grocery shopping at 1:30 ... yellow tape is back up and so is the "proceed to staging area" sign .. :pat: .... Well, the good news is that I just discovered at the store that Sunkist has put out a soda called Cherry Limeade - so, I bought a case (!) and that is what I am sipping on (so good) right now ... So, maybe Sonic Burger isn't going to be such a priority right now! BTW .... I really don't know why they are so popular (except for their drinks) .... the burgers really are sort of ho-hum. But, hey, it's fast food - and I'm such a fan! :lol:

P.S. Ray has always talked about Coffee Milk .... sold like soda pop in Rhode Island .... have any of you ever heard of that???

Well ... back to the Sonic Burger quest ... :cool: It's now been opened for over 3 weeks ... this morning at 8 when I went to pick up Ray's car - well guess what? The driveway was opened! But, alas, a burger and fries just did not appeal that early .... so, what then? Came home from grocery shopping at 1:30 ... yellow tape is back up and so is the "proceed to staging area" sign .. :pat: .... Well, the good news is that I just discovered at the store that Sunkist has put out a soda called Cherry Limeade - so, I bought a case (!) and that is what I am sipping on (so good) right now ... So, maybe Sonic Burger isn't going to be such a priority right now! BTW .... I really don't know why they are so popular (except for their drinks) .... the burgers really are sort of ho-hum. But, hey, it's fast food - and I'm such a fan! :lol:

P.S. Ray has always talked about Coffee Milk .... sold like soda pop in Rhode Island .... have any of you ever heard of that???
There is a place called the Pop Shoppe in Scottsdale that had Coffee Milk. I will try to remember to bring some on the SA trip.

Well - I finally decided to take a look at the long range weather for SA ..... looks like they are expecting, and the normal weather pattern shows, that it will be WARM ..... so, the packing dilemma begins ..... here's what I am going to do .... nothing much ever changes with me :willy_nilly:... Levi's and tee-shirts ... :lol: Well, maybe a good pair of capri's just in case we have the time to go to a fancier place. Otherwise, I figure if there's anything I need I can find it on the River Walk. :rocker::rocker: Oh, gosh ... I would just hate to have to shop ... :rolleyes: did I say that without my nose growing longer??? :chuckle

Keep in mind that San Antonio is close to the Gulf and is very humid so plan on lots of showers and changes of clothes. O' Gee, there's that shopping word again.
Ruthie............Witt wants on the CC list and I thought First Robin did too. Do I have to snap the wip?:bash:
Well - I finally decided to take a look at the long range weather for SA ..... looks like they are expecting, and the normal weather pattern shows, that it will be WARM ..... so, the packing dilemma begins ..... here's what I am going to do .... nothing much ever changes with me :willy_nilly:... Levi's and tee-shirts ... :lol: Well, maybe a good pair of capri's just in case we have the time to go to a fancier place. Otherwise, I figure if there's anything I need I can find it on the River Walk. :rocker::rocker: Oh, gosh ... I would just hate to have to shop ... :rolleyes: did I say that without my nose growing longer??? :chuckle

Keep in mind that San Antonio is close to the Gulf and is very humid so plan on lots of showers and changes of clothes. O' Gee, there's that shopping word again.
Ruthie............Witt wants on the CC list and I thought First Robin did too. Do I have to snap the wip?:bash:

I took care of that an hour ago .... that's Todd and Karen ....

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom