Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Daily Chat

Kinda makes one wonder, WHY the 'Vette was slower, Cubby. Heck, it even had a 100 HP nitrous add-on. It should have significantly better aerodynamics (reduced frontal area, better form factor, etc.) than the CTS-V. I did notice that the acceleration really seemed to fall off on the C7 at speeds over 165 mph, at least compared to that of my bike. Maybe it was a shorter section of cleared highway. :dunno:

What gear was he in at the end?

Surprising, at least to me. Maybe Giz' could contribute to this?

Tim

Tim,

There is a thread on this site with a CTS-V on the same road going 220MPH! Another Hennessey car.

In the video part that's has the driver in the car. What's in his left hand?

OK...... After about the 4th viewing. It must be the stop for the MPH meter.

Oh,,,, and it looks like he's in 5th gear. Count the shifts in the video. Isn't there a 6th gear?

Last edited:
I thought he was in 5th, as well. That's why I asked. :dunno:

Tim

In the video part that's has the driver in the car. What's in his left hand?

OK...... After about the 4th viewing. It must be the stop for the MPH meter.

Oh,,,, and it looks like he's in 5th gear. Count the shifts in the video. Isn't there a 6th gear?

The video of the CTS-V that made the run, was a 1200HP twin turbo. The Corvette was a Hennessey 600HP kit, so probably isn't fair to compare them. They both seem to only get to fifth gear before shutting down. The 2014 Corvettes have 7-speed manual trannys this year. Don't know about doing those kind of speeds on a bike. I would think fly sh!t could take you out!! :laugh::laugh:

Here is the CTS-V link if you want to watch it:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/10/25/car-hits-220-mph-on-new-texas-highway/?intcmp=features

Chad,

That is a trigger to capture the top speed in his left hand.

Kinda makes one wonder, WHY the 'Vette was slower, Cubby. Heck, it even had a 100 HP nitrous add-on. It should have significantly better aerodynamics (reduced frontal area, better form factor, etc.) than the CTS-V. I did notice that the acceleration really seemed to fall off on the C7 at speeds over 165 mph, at least compared to that of my bike. Maybe it was a shorter section of cleared highway. :dunno:

Tim

Grasshoppers are worse! Like getting shot. At meaningful triple digit speeds, I'm all tucked down in the "bubble", anyway. Supposedly, at 200 mph, just moving your elbows out into the slipstream will cost ya 7 mph; dunno, 'cuz the most I've done is 175 mph. (My son has done 200 on my bike.)

Seems to me that having a 7-speed on a car that max's out at 200 mph in 5th gear is a little strange. Maybe they didn't want to get it all in the first speed session??? Something there I don't understand. :dunno:

Tim

(Dang, w/ 1200 HP, you could probably fly a piano.)

The video of the CTS-V that made the run, was a 1200HP twin turbo. The Corvette was a Hennessey 600HP kit, so probably isn't fair to compare them. They both seem to only get to fifth gear before shutting down. The 2014 Corvettes have 7-speed manual trannys this year. Don't know about doing those kind of speeds on a bike. I would think fly sh!t could take you out!! :laugh::laugh:

Here is the CTS-V link if you want to watch it:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/10/25/car-hits-220-mph-on-new-texas-highway/?intcmp=features

Chad,

That is a trigger to capture the top speed in his left hand.

Just my opinion I would think 5 gear would keep the torch up to reach that speed gliding into 6/7 you would lose the torch more like a glide gear to save gas less RPM's on the motor??
Don't know again just saying my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

the most I've done is 175 mph. (My son has done 200 on my bike.)

Just reading that & thinking about going that fast on a bike makes me sweat!

The video of the CTS-V that made the run, was a 1200HP twin turbo. The Corvette was a Hennessey 600HP kit, so probably isn't fair to compare them. They both seem to only get to fifth gear before shutting down. The 2014 Corvettes have 7-speed manual trannys this year.

Perhaps with all the HP he starts off in a higher gear.

Huh, what (wiping the sleep from my eyes)

Seems to me that having a 7-speed on a car that max's out at 200 mph in 5th gear is a little strange. Maybe they didn't want to get it all in the first speed session??? Something there I don't understand. :dunno:

(Dang, w/ 1200 HP, you could probably fly a piano.)

Just my opinion I would think 5 gear would keep the torch up to reach that speed gliding into 6/7 you would lose the torch more like a glide gear to save gas less RPM's on the motor??
Don't know again just saying my opinion!

As Dan identified above, overdrive gears are not really meant for acceleration. And most LSR racers will tell you that kinda torque wreaks havok on overdrive gears. My tranny temp doubled in just the few seconds it was WOT in 5th.

Its my understanding GM specifically told them how fast they could go in the Camaro and the Corvette that they have run on that highway, i.e., DO NOT EXCEED XXX. That kind of threat carries a lot of weight to a GM authorized tuner.

1200HP for that kind of run is about normal for any car attempting 200+MPH. There will again be 2 or three CTS-Vs at the mile in March with 1093-1309HP. The difference is Hennesey had way more than a mile to get there.

Just reading that & thinking about going that fast on a bike makes me sweat!

Well, what went through my mind at the time was: cops? antelope? bird? tires? chain? etc. The bike itself is designed, engineered (!), and manufactured to go that fast. In fact, the faster you go on a 'Busa, the more stable it seems to become. It seems to ride lower and become rock solid, no doubt due to the aerodynamic design (lowest drag coefficient [Cd=0.35] of any production bike). It get eerily quiet, due to the "bubble" formed by the aero shape. What is impressive is how fast the telephone poles go whizzing by. Your field of view shrinks, due to what is termed as, "the event horizon". The only thing that matters is what's in this diminishing field of view; i.e., what's outside no longer matters: it can't get to you in time. Your mind does this automatically. It's a rush.

I would never recommend anyone do this, except under ideal conditions. I preach that one needs the right bike, a smooth empty road, new tires, chain, sprockets, and appropriate safety apparel (big discussion as to whether anything you wear can materially help; I believe in the gear, especially after having one of my employees high-side a turn at the local track at 120 mph+, and walk away from it.

Many folks have gone significantly faster on a bike than I, maybe even double. I hear about individuals hitting 300+ on hopped-up race bikes, and it makes me "pucker". However, if I could get the chance at that Texas highway, all to myself, I'd get the bike ready and do it in a heartbeat. For now, it's no longer on my "bucket list" and I'm content to watch videos. :chuckle

Tim

Well, what went through my mind at the time was: cops? antelope? bird? tires? chain? etc. The bike itself is designed, engineered (!), and manufactured to go that fast. In fact, the faster you go on a 'Busa, the more stable it seems to become. It seems to ride lower and become rock solid, no doubt due to the aerodynamic design (lowest drag coefficient [Cd=0.35] of any production bike). It get eerily quiet, due to the "bubble" formed by the aero shape. What is impressive is how fast the telephone poles go whizzing by. Your field of view shrinks, due to what is termed as, "the event horizon". The only thing that matters is what's in this diminishing field of view; i.e., what's outside no longer matters: it can't get to you in time. Your mind does this automatically. It's a rush.

I would never recommend anyone do this, except under ideal conditions. I preach that one needs the right bike, a smooth empty road, new tires, chain, sprockets, and appropriate safety apparel (big discussion as to whether anything you wear can materially help; I believe in the gear, especially after having one of my employees high-side a turn at the local track at 120 mph+, and walk away from it.

Many folks have gone significantly faster on a bike than I, maybe even double. I hear about individuals hitting 300+ on hopped-up race bikes, and it makes me "pucker". However, if I could get the chance at that Texas highway, all to myself, I'd get the bike ready and do it in a heartbeat. For now, it's no longer on my "bucket list" and I'm content to watch videos. :chuckle

Tim

I would bet you'd want to be sure everything is mechanically perfect for doing that - no real room for error.

Thanks for your really good description of what it's like going that speed on your bike. I can relate a tiny bit based on the feeling I have when I've tracked cars, the kind of absolute focus you need to have on what you're doing combined with the high it gives you. Still a lot different than when you've got no steel around you though! Gave me a good mental image, which is definitely as close as I plan on getting when it comes to those speeds on a bike.

Ok, I have looked high and low for my return address labels. I just got them from the corvette museum. Ever since the rooms were tented I had to rearrange my rooms. So I have stuff all over the place. I wish I knew where they were because I was going to use them a couple times already.:( oh well I guess they'll turn up next month.

Ok, I have looked high and low for my return address labels. I just got them from the corvette museum. Ever since the rooms were tented I had to rearrange my rooms. So I have stuff all over the place. I wish I knew where they were because I was going to use them a couple times already.:( oh well I guess they'll turn up next month.

All's well that ends well!

Got a nail in a tire on the CTS coupe & yesterday morning had a lit up instrument panel with all kinds of messages about it when I backed out to go to work. So I took it up to our wholesale club to get it fixed, with a big warning from Mike to be sure they know the lift points so the rocker panels don't get trashed like on XLR's.

Guy who worked on it couldn't have been nicer & of course told me he knew where the lift points were. Except (1) he didn't know what the car was & (2) didn't know how to get in it. Now I'm a little worried. He puts the lift on it & starts to lift it & there's a "crick" sound. Now I'm REALLY worried, great, I don't feel like dealing with car damage & establishing who did it, etc. He puts the lift back down & then goes thru two different hand jacks that he tries on the rear axle. :ugh:

All done & then everyone else in the shop is going to be amused because I realize I'm going to have to get down & check the rocker panels before the car gets backed out. So, I go in the shop & in my suit (skirt & heels for work), put down a towel on the floor & get on my knees to check everything out. :chuckle I can only imagine the thoughts going thru the guy's head while I'm doing that.

Turned out everything was ok, & the guy was smart enough to be careful & take the safe (but harder) way out since he didn't know what he was doing. Normally I end up with someone who doesn't care & would just run it up on the lift anyway. Plus he got the bonus (& probably a good story) of seeing a woman in a suit crawl on the floor around a car! REALLY hope I don't ever have to do that again . . .

Because of a water leak,some of our appliances and cabinets from the kitchen have been stored in my garage. Unfortunately my baby has been spending a lot of time outside. So I don't think she likes being out in the "Florida cold". This is what I saw when taking my dog for a walk.
7y3y9yse.jpg
7a2a8umy.jpg
qusydahu.jpg
ype2u7an.jpg

On another note. This is the door opener pad. I think mine is wearing out and needs to be replaced. Some days I spend several seconds to what seems like several minutes (but actually about a minute) trying to open the drivers door. It's a lot faster on the passenger side but still takes a little "warmup" time. Does anyone know the price to replace or what's all involved (how long it takes) to replace.

Real cheap at the dealer and installs in about a minute with two phillip screws.

Rusty 06 V

On another note. This is the door opener pad. I think mine is wearing out and needs to be replaced. Some days I spend several seconds to what seems like several minutes (but actually about a minute) trying to open the drivers door. It's a lot faster on the passenger side but still takes a little "warmup" time. Does anyone know the price to replace or what's all involved (how long it takes) to replace.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back