Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Daily Chat

Switched out my custom Spectre Performance CAI for the Volant CAI the other day. There is a noticeable difference between the two for the better. It seems that the Volant produces a better throttle response and growl. Picked up the Volant on Amazon for $288.99 with free shipping.....great price. Upon inspecting the parts before installation I discovered that the did not send the "Volant" decal. Contacted Amazon and was told that they could not ship "missing" parts and gave me two options....return/replace/full refund or they could give an additional 25% off for the error. I took the 25% credit (no brainer), so after all is said and done my cost was about $220.00. Contacted Volant and they are sending me a set of decals for free. Next on the list is a Corsa or Magnaflow exhaust.
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Next on the list is a Corsa or Magnaflow exhaust.
I know the Corsa exhaust is a bit more ... but in my opinion, well worth it! No DRONE when cruising at highway speeds. JMHO :wave:

Upper 50's!

Yes you are LUCKY! Cool front dropped in this evening maybe upper 50's tomorrow and Sunday !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

We are expecting 34 today and guess what for Sunday? more snow! that's what! How nice :mad::mad: I can see my X while sitting at the computer. Still mostly covered in snow and now more coming. Gotta work on retiring so I can become a snowbird and enjoy the X all year long!

I know the Corsa exhaust is a bit more ... but in my opinion, well worth it! No DRONE when cruising at highway speeds. JMHO :wave:

Got agree with ChicagoDave
NO DRONE When cruising!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

We are expecting 34 today and guess what for Sunday? more snow! that's what! How nice :mad::mad: I can see my X while sitting at the computer. Still mostly covered in snow and now more coming. Gotta work on retiring so I can become a snowbird and enjoy the X all year long!

Are you telling me your baby is sitting out in the snow: my goodness, my inner car goddess is cringing!

Oh my no I don't believe my eyes. Did I read right that your baby is out in the snow. And to top it off covered in snow. 😦

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 'second' ChicagoDave on this point XfireXLR, the Corsa does not drone and the quality of their product is exceptional: we purchase Corsa for all of our daily drivers, even my '06 Grand Prix has one. The are very well designed, fit perfectly, bolt right in etc. We have (and friends have) had Magnaflo systems before: great performance too but drone problems. It is a fine line between optimal performance and interior drone and if you are primarily racing your car then it does not matter but if you drive your car often - as I do then it does become a personal issue. Corsa give good performance, agresssive sound and no drone.

It's all covered up

Calm down guys!!
My X is all covered up with a good quality cover and is as snug as a bug.
Hawkeye you can't probably relate to this becuase of where you live, but Graytoad you know what its like.
Actually here in Manitoba its pretty dry in the winter so no worries. I've been leaving cars outside for winters for a few decades now and everything is always OK in the spring.
Tried to find a storage spot but nothing with power for the tender

Ok. I too grew up in snow country. I guess I just don't like leaving cars out in wintertime. Especially the high prices ones. Hope everything will be ok when the snow thaws.

I 'second' ChicagoDave on this point XfireXLR, the Corsa does not drone and the quality of their product is exceptional: we purchase Corsa for all of our daily drivers, even my '06 Grand Prix has one. The are very well designed, fit perfectly, bolt right in etc. We have (and friends have) had Magnaflo systems before: great performance too but drone problems. It is a fine line between optimal performance and interior drone and if you are primarily racing your car then it does not matter but if you drive your car often - as I do then it does become a personal issue. Corsa give good performance, agresssive sound and no drone.

Corsa is my first choice, just trying to get/do as much as I can with my budget that was allotted by the CFO (Wife)....:D. Just ordered two new seat covers and XLR V rear sway bar, also I would like to switch out the rear bumper cover with a 2009 bumper cover.

Corsa is my first choice, just trying to get/do as much as I can with my budget that was allotted by the CFO (Wife)....:D. Just ordered two new seat covers and XLR V rear sway bar, also I would like to switch out the rear bumper cover with a 2009 bumper cover.

No doubt the CFO is excellent at her job but do keep in mind that 'sweet rides' help keep us feeling young & alive! :burnout: I hope the CFO also enjoys trips in the XLR too! It is certainly easier for the CFO to understand the need when she also partakes in the enjoyment!

I am going to imagine that the 09 rear valance is a costly conversion. Have you investigated that? You will have to do some custom tail pipe work for your exhaust so they dump into those 2009 tips so you might as well do both conversions at the same time :chuckle to minimize total exposure to those installation costs! (actually, if you have a way to lift the car a bit you can bolt on the Corsa yourself but the tips need some tubing and welding skills)

Anyhow: good luck with your negotiations & budget strategies! ;)

I've been wanting to do the rear bumper swap ever since I did the front conversion. I just dont want to spend 8-900 for a new bumper that still needs to be painted. Been looking for deals forever, and nothing is popping up. It should be an easy bolt on affair, of course with small exhaust work, but easy enough. Post pictures if you do decide to commit to it.

I've been wanting to do the rear bumper swap ever since I did the front conversion. I just dont want to spend 8-900 for a new bumper that still needs to be painted. Been looking for deals forever, and nothing is popping up. It should be an easy bolt on affair, of course with small exhaust work, but easy enough. Post pictures if you do decide to commit to it.

That is not as much as I thought it would be. Does that include the exhaust tips and the 'grill' inserts or is that extra too?
There were only 892 of the 2009's produced. I have no idea if the industry uses a % formula to decide how many replacment body parts to produce or if they took into consideration that some earlier model owners may want to change over etc., but I am thinking that it may not be items that are readily available. I know I had to wait a few months for them to bring in the lower valance lip part (the black ABS bit) that was damaged on my car when I bought it, but my parts department also did not seem to know their ( :buttslap: ) from a hole in the ground.

Does GM still own the moulds and do they produce more 'blanks' as needed? Perhaps I should be thinking about this too: what happens if someone rear-ends my car?

WOW! Please share your contacts where did you got those prices? I was quoted $1400-1600 from a source in Chicago last year, so I said it'll wait.

Actually just found a cheaper price, but remember its just the bumper cover, no inserts, sensors, or key tab. $628
2009 Cadillac Xlr REAR BUMPER

The quote I got was for everything. Unfortunately, parts 18, 19, & 20 are not available from your source and are probably why my quote was so high.

BL04460.gif

The quote I got was for everything. Unfortunately, parts 18, 19, & 20 are not available from your source and are probably why my quote was so high.

BL04460.gif

Gotcha, Not sure what 20 is, but 18 you'd think would be able to get cheap, maybe 50-60 for the pair. As far as the tips, I personally dont like those ones, and If I did an aftermarket exhaust, I'd rather have the four tips out the middle rear.

Finally took Victor-V to get a clear bra put on, after weather & time gave us a chance to fix where someone at the dealer wiped from headlight to taillight on top of the driver side, side view mirror, and the entire edge of the hood & fender, with a variant of sand paper. :banghead: This also happened right after we had just finished the first full deep buff & polish. :mad:

Getting there worked well for everyone because I got to drive Victor :cool: & not the SUV which I hate, & Mike got to enjoy admiring his baby in his rear view mirror.

The guys did a great job on the install - so invisible we thought they hadn't even gotten to it yet when we pulled up to pick it up. Did a bit of extra work at no extra charge such as adding fender pieces not in the kit, enlarging the mirror pieces to a more appropriate size, & doing the fog lamps. Most of the bubbles are already gone a day later, though I know it might take 3 weeks for everything to clear. And no sand papering! :D

By the way, if you're considering doing this, might want to do it sooner rather than later - they commented "they don't make kits for cars this old." Victor's paint is pretty perfect - they said "pristine" - so it was worthwhile, but probably not for most 6 year old cars which is why the kits are disappearing.

Finally took Victor-V to get a clear bra put on, after weather & time gave us a chance to fix where someone at the dealer wiped from headlight to taillight on top of the driver side, side view mirror, and the entire edge of the hood & fender, with a variant of sand paper. :banghead: This also happened right after we had just finished the first full deep buff & polish. :mad:

Getting there worked well for everyone because I got to drive Victor :cool: & not the SUV which I hate, & Mike got to enjoy admiring his baby in his rear view mirror.

The guys did a great job on the install - so invisible we thought they hadn't even gotten to it yet when we pulled up to pick it up. Did a bit of extra work at no extra charge such as adding fender pieces not in the kit, enlarging the mirror pieces to a more appropriate size, & doing the fog lamps. Most of the bubbles are already gone a day later, though I know it might take 3 weeks for everything to clear. And no sand papering! :D

By the way, if you're considering doing this, might want to do it sooner rather than later - they commented "they don't make kits for cars this old." Victor's paint is pretty perfect - they said "pristine" - so it was worthwhile, but probably not for most 6 year old cars which is why the kits are disappearing.

I did mine with XPEL last year and love it. I only wish I had the door release holes done.

Saw this on Facebook and thought I'd post it over her for the non Facebook users. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367264377.323648.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back