Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Service Ride Control

XLRJimJ

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Light Platinum XLR-V
Just got the “Service Ride Control” and the “Max Speed 240KM” alert. I have a 2008 XLRV. I have reviewed some similar posts with comments about the alert, with comments everywhere “from the module failing with no replacement parts”, “there is a pin connection under the dash that is supposed to be replaced”, “the sensors may need to be adjusted”. As well there is a problem with this when installing new shocks of Corvette design? The car is scheduled to be looked at later this week, but the Cadillacs service department has been lost in the past when I have had the car in for work, and did work that never fixed the issue. They will plug into the computer to see what it says. The day before it came on, i did hit a pothole pretty hard. Thanks again everybody.

Just got the “Service Ride Control” and the “Max Speed 240KM” alert. I have a 2008 XLRV. I have reviewed some similar posts with comments about the alert, with comments everywhere “from the module failing with no replacement parts”, “there is a pin connection under the dash that is supposed to be replaced”, “the sensors may need to be adjusted”. As well there is a problem with this when installing new shocks of Corvette design? The car is scheduled to be looked at later this week, but the Cadillacs service department has been lost in the past when I have had the car in for work, and did work that never fixed the issue. They will plug into the computer to see what it says. The day before it came on, i did hit a pothole pretty hard. Thanks again everybody.

EBay has 'mag ride' replacement shocks listed for about $150@; from China and, no I know nothing more about them.
Gerald

The problem with the china shocks is they list one shock number and say it fits all corvettes and all xlr. There where at least 7 different shocks offered by application for these cars based on weight and firmness of ride.So either the ride on corvettes is going to be rock hard or the xlr is going to be floaty due to the cars having 18 tires 19 on the v and some corvettes with 29. One size fits all will not work on all these cars.

I agree that one piece fits all is a problem, however, you may want to rethink your position; electronic suspension (mag ride) is controlled by preprogrammed data and constantly changing road conditions. Although only one setting is available, unlike Corvette.

No offence intended...Gerald

The electronic controls are used to regulate the magnetic fluid inside the shocks. Ive cut them open. There are different valving orifice size holes and even the magnetic part that thickens the fluid is not the same from the base shocks and the v plus the corvette has a ride control build into their module to change the settings even more!..cadillic has 11 ports cirvette hss 16 So its not my opinion its gm design . they coul have easily made one shock fit all cars but tbey did not.instead they designed the ride control where the signal sent to the shock is the sa.e pretty much across the board but tbe action comoression and rebound are all different between 04-08 and 09 I dont think a china aftermarket is smarter than the gm guys that built the car. The ride control is the shock not the computer. Ive actually played with longer rear ride position rods and relocating the sensor.by doing so i can change the who!e ride on the car.
Corvettes and xlr use the same suspension control modules. They interchange so the program the fide height sensirs are the same. So x movement results in y voltage change to the shocks. The shocks then take that voltage to adjust the ride based on the internal valveiing. Which by the way gm refuses to share . ive run 08 reR on 05 and did not see any unsafe conditions. Ive also run cirvete mag ride on the rear and they are much to soft. Read some of the vette forums . a few guys ran the v rear and larger sway bars on their autocross vettes. Part of the reason we dont have v rears

Last edited:
You may want to contact Jim Muro, former (retired) GM C6 Corvette suspension engineer. His company reprograms 2009 to 2013 Corvette ESCMs. He knows his 'stuff'.

He told another member he cannot do anything for the xlr. At this point i just replace with non mag shocks and the cars handle and perform fine. The corvette guys use coil overs if they do any agressive driving. Nothing really to re program. I was working on a turbo charged drag car and was able to trick the rear into hooking up better with the mag shocks but coil overs provide unlimited adjustment so we changed over to them. If the china shocks actully are any good but just too soft maybe he could program the suspenion module for a stiffer closer to original ride but i highly doubt it.

I have an 04 with 66k miles. The rear shocks were leaking oil so I tried the ebay china shocks. 5 miles after getting them installed, I got the service ride control warning. Reset and again the warning. Took it back to installer and they checked everything and said it was the shocks. Got my nephew to bring his snap-on board ($8k) and we drove with it and the feedback was all over the place. Sitting in my level garage idling, the readout was dancing up/down plus minus .5 to .8 on the new rear shocks. Sitting, no movement, front shocks steady, 0 read out.
The parts sellers said I was past the 30 day refund, wanted me to ship them back at my expense, then they would send me another pair. I got tired of dealing with them. Found OEM Cadillac parts on the web for $900 for the pair. Another $300 to get them swapped out. I have had no issues in 1000 miles since. I'm stuck with the new Chinese shocks sitting in the box.
I'll make someone a Great deal if you want to try them. I'll buy oem when I need them on the front. Hopefully that will be a long time from now. Save your money and shop for the OEM set.

Interesting. Dont know how the voltage could be changing on the shocjs as its voltage in from the suspension module to the shocks. No output fom the shocks. did you drive it enough to tell anything about the ride? as far as new oem tgetes a few left then thats it. Delco has not made any in some time and once stock are gone there will be no new oem. hopefully someone will learn to rebuild them in the us .

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom