Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2008 XLR Neither door will open from inside or outside?

Hey everyone!

I am working on a 2008 XLR. I have managed to fix a bunch of problems already.

(1) Headlights did not work. Found both head light ballasts were bad. Replaced with used ones and that fixed the issue.

(2) Climate control was stuck at 78 deg and blowing full blast. Buttons would not respond to being pressed. Removed and inspected and found either coffee or soda pop spilled on the front of it and got inside and caused one of the buttons to be stuck in the on position all the time. Cleaned up spilled liquid and climate control works good again.

(3) top was having problems going up and down. lubricated all hinges and re-indexed windows and re-synched top with Tech2 and everything works good again.

Here is the one I am having problems with

(4) Neither door will open from inside or outside . I replaced both outside door pads with new GM parts. I initially tried cleaning them but only one worked after I cleaned it. They are not that expensive so I figured I would just put new ones on it. As a side note I ended up using the one I fixed on the trunk since its switch was bad as well.

When the door switch is pressed on either the inside or outside of the door, Left or Right side, the window for the side being pressed drops as it should but the door does not open. Tech 2 scanner shows that the switches are working when pressed. The lock and unlock button seems to work correctly as well and the LED on the door reflects the lock or unlocked status on the car.

Using the function in the TECH 2 to open the door does not work either.

I have removed the door lock mechanism on the drivers side and tried replacing it with a new one and that did not help . It swill would not open the door.

The battery is good and fully charged, The car starts and runs good. There are no codes currently when scanned.

At this point I am lost on what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin
Make sure your battery is good in your key fob. Sometimes it is hard for the receiver to pick up the signal. Take fob out of your pocket and hold near to your lock. Happens occasionally to me. Do the reset with drivers side window. Raise window and hold 3 seconds, then repeat.

Hey everyone!

I am working on a 2008 XLR. I have managed to fix a bunch of problems already.

(1) Headlights did not work. Found both head light ballasts were bad. Replaced with used ones and that fixed the issue.

(2) Climate control was stuck at 78 deg and blowing full blast. Buttons would not respond to being pressed. Removed and inspected and found either coffee or soda pop spilled on the front of it and got inside and caused one of the buttons to be stuck in the on position all the time. Cleaned up spilled liquid and climate control works good again.

(3) top was having problems going up and down. lubricated all hinges and re-indexed windows and re-synched top with Tech2 and everything works good again.

Here is the one I am having problems with

(4) Neither door will open from inside or outside . I replaced both outside door pads with new GM parts. I initially tried cleaning them but only one worked after I cleaned it. They are not that expensive so I figured I would just put new ones on it. As a side note I ended up using the one I fixed on the trunk since its switch was bad as well.

When the door switch is pressed on either the inside or outside of the door, Left or Right side, the window for the side being pressed drops as it should but the door does not open. Tech 2 scanner shows that the switches are working when pressed. The lock and unlock button seems to work correctly as well and the LED on the door reflects the lock or unlocked status on the car.

Using the function in the TECH 2 to open the door does not work either.

I have removed the door lock mechanism on the drivers side and tried replacing it with a new one and that did not help . It swill would not open the door.

The battery is good and fully charged, The car starts and runs good. There are no codes currently when scanned.

At this point I am lost on what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin
I had trouble with the inside door switches. What cured mine was to cycle the lock/unlock button on the Drivers door a few times. Worked for me!!
Cleaning the Pass. door switch contacts also worked for me.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom