Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2008 XLR Neither door will open from inside or outside?

When the top is stowed in the Trunk, the lid will stay open when button is pushed, so I believe the problem is a sensor somewhere in the linkage.

With the top stowed the trunk center of gravity on the hinges has changed. I have all rhe switches and sensors i sell but that most likely is not your problem. Ive worked on many many of these.
a dealer with a tech two can scan the top and check all the sensors and switches for 200-250$. Maybe get them to check it out for you. If you can find one that works on them.

I don't see how the CofG would have any effect on the hinges as they are totally separate from the Top hinges. Perhaps they do, I will check it out.
I suspect that a solenoid valve is not engaging, allowing the Trunk to close.
On another topic, those who have problems with Battery draining over a week or two should check the light in the Console cubby. I noted that mine console and lid near the light was warm and discovered that the push switch is not being activated by closing the lid.

Then you need the two gas filled shocks.not hard to change and about 45$ . if they are good you should be able to lift the trunk half way and it stay.
IIRC, there are four of those gas filled strut assist units, two on each side.

On my 2008 there is only one Gas Strut on each side. My findings to date.
Battery fully charged.
Trunk opens fully and immediately begins to close.
Pump Reservoir is at Maximum level.
I propped the trunk open to check the trunk access for 20+ minutes.
When I removed the prop, the Trunk stayed open for over 30 minutes. Pushed trunk button to close. Would not repeat staying up.
Access to the struts appears very difficult. They are original Stabilus.
I will check present availability from the GM Dealer as well as installation costs.
What scan tool is needed to check sensors/modules etc?
I could not find the procedure in the Service Manual.
With the top stowed the trunk center of gravity on the hinges has changed. I have all rhe switches and sensors i sell but that most likely is not your problem. Ive worked on many many of these.
a dealer with a tech two can scan the top and check all the sensors and switches for 200-250$. Maybe get them to check it out for you. If you can find one that works on them.
Mickey Tee: Please see below 3 July 2024 post.

MickeyT; If I understand you correctly, the bottom connector for the Gas strut just prys off with a long screwdriver? To install new ones, does the bottom connector just pop back in place when pryed? The 4 volume set does not show Strut replacement as far as I can find. Does the clip need to be removed for the Top Strut removal? Does the bottom connection unscrew from the Strut rod? Sorry for all the questions. GM advises Struts and Cylinders are no longer available. GM Part Number is 88957084 and they are over $150 Cdn but not available.

IIRC, there are four of those gas filled strut assist units, two on each side.
Thete are two struts for the trunk. Thete are akso two struts that assist the top. In my experience ive never found one of those bad. Only if the top does not go all the way down into the trunk area will you find that one of the forward struts coukd be bent. Since we are disvussing the trunk lid, there are only two struts for the trunk.

MickeyT; If I understand you correctly, the bottom connector for the Gas strut just prys off with a long screwdriver? To install new ones, does the bottom connector just pop back in place when pryed? The 4 volume set does not show Strut replacement as far as I can find. Does the clip need to be removed for the Top Strut removal? Does the bottom connection unscrew from the Strut rod? Sorry for all the questions. GM advises Struts and Cylinders are no longer available. GM Part Number is 88957084 and they are over $150 Cdn but not available.
Thete are several post on brands with stabilis and strong arm struts available on amazon and even at most auto parts stores. The strut is desigbed just like the hood ones. You can see on the strut a little metal clip that locks the strut onto the ball.there is a flat space to slide a scredriver into and pry it out. Dont worry about loosing it as the new struts haveca new one. I have tried to unscrew the bottoms and find it easier to just run a long screwdriver down and remove the clip. The drivers side has hoses and ekectrical around the bottom mskes it a little harder to do.. Ill post the part number . i think sachs stabilus was the oem supplier. The struts just pop on very easy . no scredriver required. Just snap it on.

Thete are two struts for the trunk. Thete are akso two struts that assist the top. In my experience ive never found one of those bad. Only if the top does not go all the way down into the trunk area will you find that one of the forward struts coukd be bent. Since we are disvussing the trunk lid, there are only two struts for the trunk.
Aha, is that what it is. Thanks

(If you do a lot of peering into the depths of the mechanism of the top/trunk lid frames, you can see the pair on each side; and in some parts catalogs you get 'extra' struts being mentioned. Micky has explained the difference.)

Yes. The little tiny timit screw on the trunk hing removed kets you ooen itbhigher to bevablevto snap it on.you just need a long thin blade screwdriver to release the bottom clip. Since a dealer charges 100$ to install them, even if you buy the screwdriver at harbor freight for 8$ you are ahead of the game
Micky, can you clarify exactly where this "tiny limit screw" is please? Or a photo if you have one!

I went to have a look and couldn't find a limit screw anywhere in the trunk lid mechanism. What I didn't do was remove the inner trim, so the top of the angled slide isn't visible to me.

Thank you.

IMG_20240707_161030.jpgleft hinge from inside trunk. The left arm about 1 1/2 inch down . you can see the screw.The hinge arm rest against it. Remove it completely and the trunk can open a little more

View attachment 15338left hinge from inside trunk. The left arm about 1 1/2 inch down . you can see the screw.The hinge arm rest against it. Remove it completely and the trunk can open a little more
Got it thank you Micky. On the inside side of both left and right hinges. I was looking for a variable length adjuster, not an absolute stop as a bolt head.
Vital for those both to be in place when the hydraulics are lifting the deck lid!
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Heres s photo of the passenger side pointing out the back side of the screw. So you can see its location compared to the hole in the IMG_20240708_201045_burst_01.jpghinge

Obviously it is NOT a strut problem.

So what is obviously not a strut problem? People who have not worket on more thst 50 of these cars msy not understznd thst the lower panel that stays under the trunk when the top is up pivots to the front of the trunk when the top is down and stored. That 6 pounds plus of weight is now at the far edge of the trunk snd as i correctly stated changes the center of gravity on the hinges. So a trunk that may fall when the top is up will stay open when the top is down. If it wont stay open at the 1/2 way point when the top is up it needs struts.so did you replace yours with no improvement?

When the Roof is stowed, the Trunk Lid will stay up when button is pushed.
When Roof is Up, Trunk Lid will not stay open. If I prop it open for 20 minutes or so, it will then stay up. If I press the button to open Drivers Door, the Trunk begins to close! Frustrating. It does Not close if I open the Passenger Door.

For those who have had trouble with armrest door switches, toggle the Lock Button on drivers door several times. Worked for me.

So you replaced the gas struts? Ive done maybe 45-50 . the main thing that holds the trunk up is the gas struts. Either you got bad ones or look for a broken hinge. .with The pump removed and the hydraulic cylinders removed the trunk will stay up if the struts are good.
.when the top is stowed the solenoid does hold fluid pressure to keep the trunk from falling mid cycle.you car is doing things ive never seen or ran across. Good luck, let us know when you get it fixed

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom