Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Daily Chat

Must be interesting to watch him open the hood??? :chuckle:chuckle:dunno::dunno:

The owner drilled the radiator supports and tapped them so he could bolt the hood shut. :banghead:

One of the hood struts was blown so the hood was twisted when open.

Amy and I stood in disbelief that someone would do this to an XLR.

Saw this XLR at our dealer for repairs (hopefully the picture will be clear enough). Front end damage is from the guy running into a truck, which also bent the frame. Since the hood was no longer usable, he simply covered the underframe with a tarp, guess he picked blue because the car is blue. Under the hood a number of items are literally taped down with duct tape, most of which appear to be electrical. The car is now a low rider at the rear wheels because he drowned his suspension and roof modules, but never fixed them and has continued driving that way for about a year, which has destroyed the rear shocks. He didn't have it in for repair of ANY of those problems, but only to have a misfire problem addressed.

Really sad to see a XLR in this condition, but impressive it's still running at all.

Wonder if he has any oil leaks? :squint:

yes it is sad to see any of these cars is disarray.

The owner drilled the radiator supports and tapped them so he could bolt the hood shut. :banghead:

One of the hood struts was blown so the hood was twisted when open.

Amy and I stood in disbelief that someone would do this to an XLR.

I'm speechless, and that doesn't happen very often...

This is the ideal "man cave" for a cool garage ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358646264.838808.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358646277.221183.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358646308.810248.jpg if I had the money and space then who wouldn't love to have something like this for a garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dealer has an '05 XLR on his lot and he has people of less fortunate means wandering his lot throughout the evening hours. When they closed on Saturday evening everything was fine. One of the service department employees came in on Monday morning to unlock the dealership and he heard a "bang bang bang" he looked around and didn't see anything. He unlocked the door then heard the same thing again "bang bang bang". He looked over at the XLR and there was a person of less fortunate means locked inside the car.

Apparently they left the door unlocked and this person got in and used the XLR to sleep in Saturday night. Unfortunate for him the battery ran down and he was unable to get out the next morning. So he spent all night Saturday night, Sunday and Sunday night in the XLR.
:sleeping:

The police was called and the person in the XLR told the police "I'm on the job, I'm one of you, I'm undercover". Needless to say that wasn't true. Luckily he only broke the door push button and didn't soil the seat after 1 1/2 days in the car.

​I can't think of a better place to sleep. :jaw:
Funny Story
To bad he did not know of floor lever that opens the door! :laugh:

Gave Beauty a bath, got her mostly dry, then did homegrown "Masterblaster" & took her up on the interstate for a while. :cool:

Cranked up some Bryan Adams, listened to the purr of the V8 & the rumble of the exhaust, looked down her long, shiny hood, & thought, "For right here, right now, life is GOOD!"

As I was backing up into parking space I lowered the L mirror. Now when I tried to raise it back up. It is stuck. Only can lower or move it left and right. Not back up. :(

Don't your mirrors automatically go down as you set them when you put into reverse?

On mine the only one that drops is the Right one

Well installed the Curb Alert today went pretty good install like the Corvette instruction ran it off the the fuse connection for the heated/cooled seat fuse. After adjustment took it for a drive kept getting a false signal so stop at park where they had cement parking stop so adjusted up a little higher and drove back to the house with no more false signals! Hopefully no more nose dives into the curbs!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358733493.776256.jpg
Mounted right below the front license plate holder on the top side of the bumper!

My 'Curb Alert' died on me last week! I went out in the garage and heard a steady beep and opened the door and found out it was the 'Curb Alert'!
While I was getting under the driver's side dash to get to it, I guess I applied to mush pressure on the seat switch control bracket and am now awaiting delivery from gmpartsdirect.com.

This project has had to be set aside as I have more important family matters to attend to.

Watching American Top Gear featuring cars that were commercial failures but are cool & deserve a second chance - "favorite cult classics." The cars were Subaru SVX, Merkur XR4ti, & Cadillac. . . . Allante.

The XLR did get mentioned though. They all went to an ad agency to develop an ad for the cars. Interestingly, for the Allante one of the ad reps suggested, "The people who bought XLR's might be interested in buying a piece of the history before XLR's began."

The Allante did end up selling first, using an ad of a driver in a tux with a string quartet (instead of doing donuts/using an astronaut for the other cars).

I was a fan of the Merker but with kids and economics it was not realistic at the time. I have to be honest when my wife and I talked about a convertible the XLR was not on my radar screen. I was thinking of something less exotic like a Honda S2000 or even a Mustang. We had rented a Mustang convertible in Hawaii and had a great time with it. Then after seeing the XLR, there was no turning back. A good friend who has a Corvette was blown away when he saw me in it for the first time. It certainly is a head turner. We get more looks and positive comments than we could have imagined. I remember being at a stop light and having a guy next to me just staring. He rolled down the window and commented that it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen. No argument there. The XLR is like a fine wine, it just keeps getting better with age. :cool:

Love Cadillac "ghosts"!

I've had an STS for 5 years that is supposed to recognize fob 1 or 2 when you open the door & adjust seats, mirrors, etc. automatically for the settings for that fob (like a XLR). This has NEVER worked since I've had it; I've always had to go into the nav & push "Driver 1" to get it to work.

We've taken it on its first long distance trip with my husband driving, but using my fob. After the first 3 stops, it has suddenly come to life & started putting the seats & everything where they are set for me when the door is opened. :reddevil It's fine if that wants to work now but what an inconvenient time!

Maybe now is the time to retry voice commands with it. All its ever done for any type of voice command you give it (whether for radio, A/C, whatever) is respond with "System defrost on" & turned on the defroster. If it works . . . I will miss arguing with it. :willy_nilly:

Voice Recognition Issues

I've had an STS for 5 years that is supposed to recognize fob 1 or 2 when you open the door & adjust seats, mirrors, etc. automatically for the settings for that fob (like a XLR). This has NEVER worked since I've had it; I've always had to go into the nav & push "Driver 1" to get it to work.

We've taken it on its first long distance trip with my husband driving, but using my fob. After the first 3 stops, it has suddenly come to life & started putting the seats & everything where they are set for me when the door is opened. :reddevil It's fine if that wants to work now but what an inconvenient time!

Maybe now is the time to retry voice commands with it. All its ever done for any type of voice command you give it (whether for radio, A/C, whatever) is respond with "System defrost on" & turned on the defroster. If it works . . . I will miss arguing with it. :willy_nilly:

Well, what fixed the voice recognition on my XLR was to clean and polish the nav' disk. Try it. FWIW

Tim

Well, what fixed the voice recognition on my XLR was to clean and polish the nav' disk. Try it. FWIW

Tim

Well, I certainly wouldn't have thought of that! - thanks for passing that along, I'll give it a try. :wave:

This is true team spirit for cadillac. Everyone in your neighborhood would either be jealous or be egging your car. Depending on who they are rooting for. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359767361.050925.jpg

Early Valentines gift - I love it! (Maybe hard to see but it's a mug with a shot of our XLR's together)

Attachments

• IMAG0071.jpg
    IMAG0071.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 293

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics