Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

replaced battery now car will not start

Robert501

My XLR/V(s)
2005 gray
My battery was dead and had it replaced, also replaced the batteries in both key fobs. Now the car will not start and it doesn't recognize the key fobs. What might be the problem and what do I need to do?

Try programing the new transmitter, the procedure is in the owners manual in section 2, matching a new transmitter to your vehicle without a recognized transmitter.

My battery was dead and had it replaced, also replaced the batteries in both key fobs. Now the car will not start and it doesn't recognize the key fobs. What might be the problem and what do I need to do?

Assuming the key fobs were working until you changed the key fob battery, make sure you put the key fob battery in the right way up.
Make sure the key fob batteries are very clean and the contacts are also clean.
Do you have a VOM? Make sure the key fob new batteries are working. It sometimes happens that you can get dead ones.
Also, if the key fob battery is flat, there is a slot in the glove-box where if you put the fob there, it will be recognized and your X will start.
I assume you know the new main car battery is good and correctly installed.

Last edited:
1721864448703.png

Thanks, but that is not the problem. I put either key in the slot in the glove compart, press start and I hear a clicking sound. If I press the "Off" side of the switch and remove my foot from the break the car will start and run. Any suggestions??????

Thanks. I have a mobile mechanic service that has looked at it, Justin is a very honest person. He has spence hours researching this problem and only charged a service call to replace the battery. Justin said he thought it was either 1) switch in the break, 2) ignition switch, or 3) have the electronics reset and he did not have the equipment to make the diagnostic check.

Thanks. I have a mobile mechanic service that has looked at it, Justin is a very honest person. He has spence hours researching this problem and only charged a service call to replace the battery. Justin said he thought it was either 1) switch in the break, 2) ignition switch, or 3) have the electronics reset and he did not have the equipment to make the diagnostic check.

The ignition switches do fail. Pressing the bottom half of the switch and get a crank and engine start is indicative of multiple problems. Suggest replace ignition switch. Do a search here, the topic came up moderately recently.

The brake switch is more complex than you might expect and has to be calibrated. The brake switch can also fail. You need a Tech-2 to calibrate it. Fitting a new one is not especially difficult.

There is a problem in some XLRs with corrosion in the BCM affecting both the brake switch circuit and the trunk deck release circuit. With the main battery disconnected (doors open first!!), remove both the harness ends and clean them with contact cleaner. The harness ends have a blue 'latch' which swings up and over, pulling the plug out of the BCM. There are two.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom