Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Bilstein shocks

Avery

My XLR/V(s)
2009 silver XLR
I just finished installing Bilstein shocks on my '09 XLR after a visit to my local Cadillac dealer for a check on a headlight problem ( right headlight turned on startup but the left did not) diagnosis was a shorted out motor. No fix! . I had them do a complete check of the car for any potential problems and they came back with a leak in the right front (passenger side) shock.
And for only $2000.00 they will replace both front shocks. I said no thank you and brought my car home. I immediately went to the forum and searched for shock replacement information and saw that members had replace theirs with Bilsteins and were very happy with them. Purchased shocks on Amazon using the part numbers supplied by one of the forum members and did research on the shock simulators need to fool the computer to remove the service suspension warning. Purchased M&P USA GM MagneRide sensors after reading reviews by others including an XLR '06 owner who had installed on their car. Taking the shocks off was an adventure even after watching several YouTube videos of people changing out their Corvette MagRide shocks. Six hours later everything was finished and took the car for a test ride this morning. Service message is still on , but the instructions states it my take up to 40 restarts to clear or you can take the car to the dealership to have them cleared. ( I don't have a Tech2 ) . So I have a set of '09 MagRide shocks (one possibly leaking) with 58000 miles on them for any member who may want them, just pay the shipping to you. Also If anyone has a fix or a motor for an '09 Left headlight and the information to install; please contact me.

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 29
The headlight will have to be tsken apart. A pretty big job and then you need the parts to fix it once you get it apart. hopefully you got b6 bilsteins. B8 are for lowered cars and you may not be able to turn the light off. You do mot need a tech two and it dies not taje 40 cyckes. If ibstalked cirrectly just start it up and drive and everything should be ok. Id say you did not get all the simulators instalked correctly. . i sent you a pm about the shocks when you say the headlight started up what did you mean. The leveling motor will adjust for the adaptive function. However if its just not burning its a bulb or balkast whichnis an easy repair.

Last edited:
The headlight will have to be tsken apart. A pretty big job and then you need the parts to fix it once you get it apart. hopefully you got b6 bilsteins. B8 are for lowered cars and you may not be able to turn the light off. You do mot need a tech two and it dies not taje 40 cyckes. If ibstalked cirrectly just start it up and drive and everything should be ok. Id say you did not get all the simulators instalked correctly. . i sent you a pm about the shocks when you say the headlight started up what did you mean. The leveling motor will adjust for the adaptive function. However if its just not burning its a bulb or balkast whichnis an easy repair.
Thanks for the quick reply. I can box the shocks and send you the weight tomorrow. as far as the headlight, the light works , it just does not turn like the right headlights adapitve system.

I would just make sure the headlight is aimed correctly and leave it alone. Mine both died and I don't miss them. I find them kinda annoying. They move too robitically. Better just straight.

Also which m&p kit did you get? Was it the one with 8 resistors? Or only 4...I just installed it on my 07 and it fixed my warning messages finally, after 3 months of fighting with the same problem. On several occasions I found that the shop has not installed the plugs correctly. I had to redo all 8 myself. Having a tech 2 helps diagnose which plug isn't working correctly. Could be a plug just came unplugged...

The sims on the position wiring usually do not snap together. Its a good idea to wrap a smal! Zip tie inline to hold the plugs together they must be snug or water can get in plus they loose connection very easy

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom