Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk Opens after Convertible Top goes up or down

Civil

The trunk on my 2005 XLR opens in sequence but remains open after putting the top down or up. After I use the top, the trunk must be manually closed, then it latches and can be driven (albeit with a top secure warning). Also, the trunk doesn't open when you use the key fob or when pressed inside the cabin; only opens manually or when using the convertible. I just replaced the trunk latch lock unit, so that shouldn't be the problem. When pressing the open trunk button on the key fob or inside the cabin, I don't hear an engagement/activation noise; might be there, but don't hear it. However, at the end of the convertible cycle I can hear some kind of continuous noise, but the trunk stays open. What do you think?

Last edited:
There are several scanners that list the relearn. Ive heard of problems when they are tried. The xlr seems to have been made to use it. Even some dealers with later scanners still use the tech 2. You could have a bad top position or limit dwitch or the trunk latch could be bad. A tech 2 will show wnich it is

I took it to a shop with a Tech2 scanner that said they can do it. Put the top down, they plugged the scanner in, went to the top folding module, and somehow cleared the already known procedure but didn't know how to re-learn the procedure. So now the top is down and isn't activating to go back up.
The only positive is that the scanner didn't indicate any codes wrong with the convertible.

Last edited:
Its almost the first thing uou come to when scrolling down safter checking that all the switches and srnsirs are within perimeters. Have fuses blown tells me smething is going on with the pump. Id make sure itsfull. Also check the solinoids on the pump. One works the trunk

Putting usa as location keeps a lot of people from offereing help. When people are listed as close by i offer to meet and assist as do several other owners who work on their cars. Plus we know of shops in lots of areas to recommend.

There were no codes thrown after the Tech2 reset. Could change, but was fine when it was scanned today. As for the pump, I'll look at the volume in the reservoir. Before the scan today it worked fine enough to completely articulate the top. Seemed like it's a top-learning procedures thing. What could the shop have done to basically clear out the procedures without re-learning them? They said maybe because they did it with the top down rather than up.

It does not have to set a code. You look at the values of the position switches and see how they change thru the cycle. The drive pins get worn and can cause the sequence to vary and stop a function of the top. A relearn can make it work but if it needs it again then something is worn or loose.

There are several scanners that list the relearn. Ive heard of problems when they are tried. The xlr seems to have been made to use it. Even some dealers with later scanners still use the tech 2. You could have a bad top position or limit dwitch or the trunk latch could be bad. A tech 2 will show wnich it is
I am having the same issue with my top. windows go down and tonneau cover goes up but trunk wont open using top down switch. Opens with fob. Just replaced lift supports on trunk as well. Can you post what tech II scanner is best?

Software is pirated GM from their original TECH II units. And is stored on a PCM/CIA card. Mine only went to 2013 vehicles. But it worked perfectly, I even had a retired GM mechanic borrow it a couple of times. Shop around if you're looking for one. Prices are all over but are the same in quality, which is quite good. The TIS software was a dvd copy with felt tip pen labelling

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom