Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trunk bumpers

BobbyT

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
My trunk bumpers deteriorated. Bought new ones. Looking for a procedure to set the depth of the rubber cones. The bolts are nearly 2” long. Original screwed in all the way. Any help would be appreciated.

ive done this twice. first time with oem parts.
i got a set of calipers and measured the length of exposed thread below the set nut, between the nut and the remainder of the rubber cone , mine werent too badly deteriorated. also noted where the trunk lid lined up, aka level, with the tail lights on the left and right. after replacing , everything looked the same.
second time mine were melted away so bad they were useless to measure.
i got the after market rubber cones off ebay from a member here. cleaned off all the goop, lol, that took an hour with 20 paper towels and eventually multiple wipes with acetone. reglued the new cones on and made sure they were set pretty evenly , plumb , whatever you wanna call it. they are pretty tight but do need adhesive. i used 3m super weather strip adhesive. let it cure for 24 hours with trunk open. adhesive hardens up great. closed trunk to check height after it was all done and looked good, not rubbing anywhere along the rear edge that is close to the bumper. if it was i could have still adjusted.

one thing to be aware of, thats kinda related to trunk bumper height.
if your top down doesnt latch into the trunk correctly, it will bounce a bit, tapping against the inside of the trunk lid. this makes little paint chips on the top of the roof.
so check when you stow your top that it latches.
and if you wanna be safe, can do an easy mod to add a layer of protection for if the top ever doesnt latch.

ive done this twice. first time with oem parts.
i got a set of calipers and measured the length of exposed thread below the set nut, between the nut and the remainder of the rubber cone , mine werent too badly deteriorated. also noted where the trunk lid lined up, aka level, with the tail lights on the left and right. after replacing , everything looked the same.
second time mine were melted away so bad they were useless to measure.
i got the after market rubber cones off ebay from a member here. cleaned off all the goop, lol, that took an hour with 20 paper towels and eventually multiple wipes with acetone. reglued the new cones on and made sure they were set pretty evenly , plumb , whatever you wanna call it. they are pretty tight but do need adhesive. i used 3m super weather strip adhesive. let it cure for 24 hours with trunk open. adhesive hardens up great. closed trunk to check height after it was all done and looked good, not rubbing anywhere along the rear edge that is close to the bumper. if it was i could have still adjusted.
When I replaced mine I found the previous owner had screwed the adjusting bolts in all the way. To adjust mine, I put the new cones on and put a small amount of white lithium grease around the area the cone sets into at the back of the trunk. I began turning the adjusting bolt out a little at a time until it just made contact with the grease. Once I knew I was in contact with the mating surface of the rubber cone, I made slight adjustments to the adjusting bolt to make sure the deck lid matched the body. The lithium grease wipes up easily and made a great indicator for the initial adjustment.

The replacement cones were designed from an original cone I bought from East Coast. I decided the best way to make them was so a person could just slip them over the original stud and would not need to make much, if any, adjustment to the adjusting bolt.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom