Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Leather Seat Dyeing and/or Repro covers

CY1957-XLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Light Platinum XLR 484
I recently sent pictures of my XLR to a small dealer, who had another XLR I was interested in.
He thought mine looked nice, but he had just sold the XLR he had.
After looking at my pictures, he suggested I check into Dyeing the seats, to make them look much better.

Has anyone ever done this, or had it done?
If so, how did it hold up, and was it worth it?

I am guessing that there are NO reproduction Seat Covers that could be bought for our XLR's.
That would be ideal, then they could just be switched by an upholstery shop.

Thanks,

Chris Y

Im pretty sure thats it. I was waiting for a member that had bought them to vet back. He said they were very good and matched well. I believe he got the bottoms and the back but the back inserts are not available due to the way they are made. im not good on interior colors but ive seen black, gray, ivory and tan but some say theres only two colors?

They have bottoms and backs for both sides. Will add up to about $1500 for all 4 panels.
Also been looking at "Seat Doctors", which has Leather Dyes in all colors.
My seats are not that bad but would like much nicer if re-dyed or new replacement covers.
Adding another $1500 plus paying a shop to switch them, may not add that much value to the car though.
Thanks for your input, as in past!

1723515860131.png

One of my oldies, I actually went into Richmond Upholstery with my XLR. They replaced the outer/upper panel on the driver's seat for me. It was a perfect match. I've also used Seat Doctor's dye several times. Again, I had good luck with that stuff as well

Rexster,
Thanks for the info! Good you are close by to Richmond in TX !

I will have to give Richmond a call soon.
Biggest thing for me to think about would be if I can change the covers myself or not.
Another forum member said he did, and it was not so easy, and needed an electric stapler etc...
Cost of all 4 covers and paying someone to install possibly could add up and would it be worth the investment?
Don't think it would add that extra cost to the value of the car, but if it makes the seats look like new, would be worth it in the long run.

I could always try the Dye, and if it does not turn out well, not as much cost, then would have to spring for the new covers!

Have a good evening.

You have to be careful, as the air bags are located in the outside pads of the seats. Plus those speaker covers are old by now and can be cracked easily when removing them. I've used Seat Doctor on both of my vehicles and the dye blends in when dry for a perfect match.

Rexster,
Thanks for additional information.
I am thinking using the Seat Dr's dye would be best to start with.
Did you dye them in the car then?
And how did the dye hold up for you?
I would think it should hold up well if the car is not driven daily.

Rexster,
Thanks for additional information.
I am thinking using the Seat Dr's dye would be best to start with.
Did you dye them in the car then?
And how did the dye hold up for you?
I would think it should hold up well if the car is not driven daily.
Yep, no removal. When I got the car it was 10 years old and the seats hadn't been taken care of. The leather wasn't cracking, but plenty of "wrinkles". I treated the area twice, then used Zaino leather treatment. I treated the seats once a month and never had to use the dye again. The secret is to make sure the seat is perfectly clean and dry. I've used the treatment on my King Ranch Expedition leather seats and it works just as well

Rexster,
Thanks again for info!
The seats in my XLR are the same, no cracks, just the usual "wear wrinkles", and is Shale, so shows much more than Black.
Was suggested to me by a dealer to dye the seats, to make them look better. Would help with a future trade if I would ever do that.

Did you get the "prepping products" for cleaning/prepping from Seat Dr as well?
I think they talk about using rubbing alcohol too?
Also, did you use a sponge to apply the dye?
Thanks,

Attachments

• 2005 XLR_At Young_Interior Cleaned-1_6-18-2023.jpg
    2005 XLR_At Young_Interior Cleaned-1_6-18-2023.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 2005 XLR_At Young_Interior Cleaned-2_6-18-2023.jpg
    2005 XLR_At Young_Interior Cleaned-2_6-18-2023.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
I bought the kit. It included everything needed for spot repairs. It does need to be feathered out past the spot repair for better blending

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom