Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Check Engine Light

Cadiblk

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black Raven XLR
Hello all

Today my engine light came on. Suprisingly, there was no information given on the information center either identifying a problem or advising to check gauges. The engine seems to have the same amount of power, no weird sounds, and all fluid levels are good. I double checked the engine oil which is at 45%, but is not dirty and is halfway up the checked area on the gauged area. I have not made any upgrades to the car.

The weather today was about 95 degrees.

Has anyone had any similar issue at or around the same mileage? I think I am going to run to Costco to pick up the universal OBD reader that they offer, just hoping to identify something from the large knowledge pool here.

Obviously, the car will not leave the garage until I can figure out the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I hope so. I read an earlier post about engine bolts coming loose and causing excess vacuum. Again, hopefully it is something minor.

I have been experiencing the same issue over the last 3 or 4 weeks. As HOMEGAMEROOM stated....the gas cap, on my last 2 fill ups the light has come on and after awhile will go out I have already had the cap changed twice.
:cool:

Unfortunately, mine came on halfway through a fill up. I wasn't able to get the reader yet. Hope to do it today.

Was the XLR running as you filled your tank? If so, that could cause the light to come on.

Dave

I went to Autozone and they let me use their scanner. The engine light went away as soon as the scanner was plugged in. However, the two codes in the history were P0345 and P0346. Those two codes were Cam Shaft Position sensor "A" Circuit Bank 2 and Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2.

I had a cam shaft position sensor go out in my Diesel Excursion which prevented the engine from starting. The good news was that it was an extremely easy fix. Again, the light went away when the scanner was connected. Are both sensors going out or do you guys think this resulted from a hard shift or possibly just a gremlin?

Thanks again

I went to Autozone and they let me use their scanner. The engine light went away as soon as the scanner was plugged in. However, the two codes in the history were P0345 and P0346. Those two codes were Cam Shaft Position sensor "A" Circuit Bank 2 and Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2.

I had a cam shaft position sensor go out in my Diesel Excursion which prevented the engine from starting. The good news was that it was an extremely easy fix. Again, the light went away when the scanner was connected. Are both sensors going out or do you guys think this resulted from a hard shift or possibly just a gremlin?

Thanks again

The camshaft code means you need to get a new sensor installed as I had those EXACT codes and needed a new sensor.

Waiting for part on order

Was at dealer to have 1 window regulator replaced,they noticed engine lite was on and advised mass air flow sensor be replaced; now the other window making same screeching noise,about to overdose on donuts at dealership!:pat:

The check engine light came on again today and this time it won't clear. Could Cadillac tech, or any of the other engine gurus post the replacement procedure for the cam position sensor(s)? I have replaced the sensor in my excursion and it was extremely simple. I am hoping the XLR will be similar.

Thanks in advance.

The check engine light came on again today and this time it won't clear. Could Cadillac tech, or any of the other engine gurus post the replacement procedure for the cam position sensor(s)? I have replaced the sensor in my excursion and it was extremely simple. I am hoping the XLR will be similar.

Thanks in advance.
This happens to mind frequently but its because of the gas cap I have had three put on. If it is not tight then it will put that light on. Here in Tucson we dont have the best roads so when you hit a bump that cap comes loose.

Speedway

I would not panic

The check in engine light on mine comes on occasionally. I usually just drive it normally and with in a couple days goes out. Last time mine came on I got this advise from on star.

Good luck

There are 4 cam sensors, which one do you want to replace and why?

I had a check engine light come on twice. Each time I went to Autozone and they let me use their scanner. The first time the code cleared when I plugged in the scanner. The second time the code would not clear. The two codes in the history were P0345 and P0346. Those two codes were Cam Shaft Position sensor "A" Circuit Bank 2 and Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2.

Does the camshaft position sensor need replacing or is it the gas cap that could be causing the code?

Thank you

Engine light/Preformance Chip

I have the same thing happening,but it only happens when I get on it.I check the oil all of the time,and the engine runs fine.I have done some up grades,Volant air intake,and Magna Flow Exhaust.After starting the car about 10 times.the light go's,off,untill I get on it again,I think I'll have to have,the computer flashed,so it can handle,all of the extra air. Question for anyone out there, I'm thinking of having a Super Preformance chip,installed ,any feedback,would help.I plan to run at ,Heartland Park,in Topeka Ks ,next summer,against the clock. :) Tommy10

Interesting. I am hard on the accelerator fairly regularly :dunno::dunno: I wonder if this has anything to do with the cam position sensor giving a funky code to the computer.

Question for anyone out there, I'm thinking of having a Super Preformance chip,installed ,any feedback,would help.I plan to run at ,Heartland Park,in Topeka Ks ,next summer,against the clock. :) Tommy10

Don't just get an addon/chip. These motors have been around a while. There are several very good tuners available to get the most out of them at a reasonable cost. The chip may fool one sensor, the tuner can reset several parameters for best motor efficiency. I've heard some of these motors gain 20-40HP with just a tune and no addons. Imagine what they can do with what you have!

And don't forget that 155MPH speed limiter, going to the tuner to remove just that is worth the trip.

I agree, off the shelf tunes or pre-programmed chips/modules are created with very wide parameters and often do not provide the performance advertised or the safety your motor needs.

It's worth seking out someone in your area who can dyno tune your car's motor to deliver the best it can in performance while assuring nothing gets out of wack.

A good tuner should be able to pull 20-30 rwhp out of your car easily with the mods you already have.

Today was a fairly nice day so I decided to take the X out for a drive. When I fired her up I saw that the check engine light had cleared. I drove for a while without any problems. I decided to check the situation posted earlier about the light coming on during hard driving. Sooo, I had to jump on it!! Well the check engine light lit up immediately after the hard acceleration.

I have read that there may be wiring issues with the cam position sensor or that it could simply be failing. Could someone point me in the right direction as to where I can locate the sensor on the engine block? Obviously, it has to be near a cam, but I don't know if it is in the top, bottom, etc.

Thanks

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back