Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

big day for my XLR

CanadianViking

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
it was a big day today for my XLR;

• picked up a Optima Red Top battery
  • ordered headlamp assemblies, harnesses and the rear sway bar assembly (thanks MTRocket)
  • ordered powder coated brake calipers in crystal red w/black brackets (thanks CadillacTech)
  • ordered the Corsa exhaust and Volant CAI through my local performance shop (oddly, the cost was almost the same in Canada as the USA - something we rarely see!)

I'll install the Red Top this weekend but the other items are a few weeks away (plus I'll need good weather to make the run down to MTRocket's shop)

almost feels like Christmas :)

• ordered headlamp assemblies, harnesses and the rear sway bar assembly (thanks MTRocket)
  • ordered powder coated brake calipers in crystal red w/black brackets (thanks CadillacTech)
  • ordered the Corsa exhaust and Volant CAI through my local performance shop (oddly, the cost was almost the same in Canada as the USA - something we rarely see!)

I'll install the Red Top this weekend but the other items are a few weeks away (plus I'll need good weather to make the run down to MTRocket's shop)

BTW, if your talking the about getting new headlamp assemblies, make sure you have the newer style pigtail so it doesnt melt the lens. Nice upgrades though!

BTW, if your talking the about getting new headlamp assemblies, make sure you have the newer style pigtail so it doesnt melt the lens. Nice upgrades though!

The new harnesses are required to make the '06-'09 headlamps work in the '04-'05 XLRs. They don't have anything to do with the lenses melting.

It sure was a BIG day! You'll LOVE the calipers & Corsa exhaust! Enjoy :wave:

Congratulations on the upgrades!! We love the Corsa exhaust on Beauty. The best upgrade to date. :cool:

Mike

Hi,

What Volant CAI did you get? From what I've seen, their CAI is only for 2005-2009. I've been looking everywhere for a CAI for the 2004.

Cheers,

G

The new harnesses are required to make the '06-'09 headlamps work in the '04-'05 XLRs. They don't have anything to do with the lenses melting.

Didnt know that, so the newer style lights dont create melted lenses, so this is why you need the pigtail to make it work for the 04 & 05. where as the older lights still have the problem? Its been awhile since I've been home to look at mine, but is the connection for the newer harness 2 rows of prongs instead of 1, I only ask because I still need to replace one of mine and want to make sure the one im looking at will work without melting again.

Didnt know that, so the newer style lights dont create melted lenses, so this is why you need the pigtail to make it work for the 04 & 05. where as the older lights still have the problem? Its been awhile since I've been home to look at mine, but is the connection for the newer harness 2 rows of prongs instead of 1, I only ask because I still need to replace one of mine and want to make sure the one im looking at will work without melting again.

I believe that ALL replacement lights are the '06 and newer style - in '06 GM rebuilt the headlamp assemblies using a different polymer in the light. I also believe that previous to '06 the headlights were not the adaptive style (didn't swivel when the steering wheel is turned) - hence the reason for the jumper harness - to enable the adaptive headlamp system.

thanks everyone, can't wait to get the new gear on the XLR! the next 3 weeks are going to feel like forever!

G - thats the one I went with. I don't think there is significant difference between the 04 and 05 and I think we have several members here that have installed the same on 04's with success.

Hi,

What Volant CAI did you get? From what I've seen, their CAI is only for 2005-2009. I've been looking everywhere for a CAI for the 2004.

Cheers,

G

thanks everyone, can't wait to get the new gear on the XLR! the next 3 weeks are going to feel like forever!

CV, when changing the battery, be sure you connect a 12vdc source to the ends of the battery cables, not the battery terminal ends, or you'll lose your personal settings. It doesn't have to be a high power source, 1 Amp. should be enough. I use an Emergency Power source I started carring in my trunk after the second OEM battery started dying on me. It has a small battery in it but has the capabillty of starting the engine when the regular battery can't by itself.

Good Luck,

I believe that ALL replacement lights are the '06 and newer style - in '06 GM rebuilt the headlamp assemblies using a different polymer in the light. I also believe that previous to '06 the headlights were not the adaptive style (didn't swivel when the steering wheel is turned) - hence the reason for the jumper harness - to enable the adaptive headlamp system.

I don't think they fixed the problem in 2006. The parking light lens melted in both of the headlamps on my 2006 V and they are the adaptive lights in a late build 2006 at that. The dealer replaced one headlamp under warranty as the lens started cracking after it melted and left me with the other one which was yellowed from melting, but showed no cracks. I took the incandesent bulbs out and replaced them with LED's which run much cooler. At least the new one will never get damaged and the old one will not get any worse. If I spent the money on new headlamps I would never put incandescent bulbs in them and take a chance on them being damaged.

I don't think they fixed the problem in 2006. The parking light lens melted in both of the headlamps on my 2006 V and they are the adaptive lights in a late build 2006 at that. The dealer replaced one headlamp under warranty as the lens started cracking after it melted and left me with the other one which was yellowed from melting, but showed no cracks. I took the incandesent bulbs out and replaced them with LED's which run much cooler. At least the new one will never get damaged and the old one will not get any worse. If I spent the money on new headlamps I would never put incandescent bulbs in them and take a chance on them being damaged.

Could you post the link to the LED's you used, I dont want to ruin mine as well, thanks!

You have told me the source for the LEDs you used but would you mind sharing again? I wish I could just turn off my DRLs.

:dunno:If not in the '06 model year, they for sure had the headlamp melting problem taken care of in '07. Mine have the original incandescent bulbs and have had no problems with melting. Although, I was sure that the problems were only in '04 and '05.:confused: Oh well...

I have a 04 with perfect original headlights she only has 9,000 on her. I had checked dealer records and it had some headlight harness update back in 05? I am religious with turning on my fog lamps which turns of the DRL'S. I've been waiting to replace my bulbs when I get for sure numbers and its looks through my research that you can get diff. configurations of the LEDs on the fixture? I've also been brewing some ideas on angel rings around the hid to be the DRL'S when on.off with headlights. The big delay is I have to remove the headlight Assy. Just to get a measurement of the hid bulb or gap around the bulb? I'll get her soon and get some pics up just wanna take my time and NOT mess up those headlight Assy.

You have told me the source for the LEDs you used but would you mind sharing again? I wish I could just turn off my DRLs.

You can turn off your DRLs by turning on your fog lamps as Stella mentioned. You just have to remember to do it each time you start your car. I did that in the beginning, but would forget from time to time. My V had about 40,000 miles on it when I got it so it already had a lot of hours on the lamps and the damage was done.

I bought replacment LEDs from www.vleds.com and installed them in place of the DRLs. Since the DRLs double as the turn signal you have to add a load resistor for the turn signal to flash at a normal rate. The other problem was they didn't offer any amber LEDs made for continuous duty as DRLs so I bought the 5K white LEDs which I like as DRLs better anyway. Some states may require an amber turn signal to pass a vehicle inspection so that may be an issue, but it hasn't been a problem here. The LEDs I bought are p/n 3157_21_W_5K and the resistors are LR_650_P. They offer 5 or 6K LEDs, the 5K match the stock Fog lamps and headlamps better. They do have a dual color white/amber switchback LED 3157_92_WA2_5K, but they will not work in the XLR as the turn signal is just pulsing the DRL, not a separate circuit and the amber portion of the LED is not ment for continuous duty as a DRL. They have introduced a continuous duty amber LED since I bought mine p/n V3_A_C which should work for anyone that wants to maintain the amber color DRL and turn signal.

Gizmo figured out a way to isolate the turn signal circuit from the DRLs which means the switchback LEDs may be able to be made to work with some rewiring, but I have not looked into it again since I first installed my LEDs.

:dunno:If not in the '06 model year, they for sure had the headlamp melting problem taken care of in '07. Mine have the original incandescent bulbs and have had no problems with melting. Although, I was sure that the problems were only in '04 and '05.:confused: Oh well...

Maybe a few headlamp "plastic housing assembly" was left over from the '04-'05 models. Wouldn't surprise me since I see some leftover parts on the XLR's from other caddy models. :confused:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom