Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! battery disconnected can't get in car

Avery

My XLR/V(s)
2009 silver XLR
Made BIG mistake while working on my car. Disconnected battery to trace a voltage draw, checked battery disconnected voltage remains unchanged then got distracted and forgot to reconnect battery and proceeded to close hood. Tried the key in rear bumper to open trunk to access , but nothing happens. Any help appreciated to get open.

IF you had a working main battery (and you don't), turning the key in the rear bumper also activates the hydraulic pump and lifts the trunk deck for you.

But you don't.

The 'turn the key in the rear bumper' is also a mechanical release of the latch holding the trunk lid securely closed. So, with two people, while you turn the key, lift the trunk lid. You have to lift it slowly, against the hydraulics, it can be done. Do not force it.

Once the trunk lid is open far enough, use the mechanical release to open the driver's door. The release is on the left.

And next time, put something over the hood latch so you can't make this mistake again!

I belive it is possible (never done this), to provide power via the main cooling fan, if you can get underneath. Don't know if somebody else can confirm or deny this.

My additional 2c: I keep a link to the battery accessible by the passenger side wipers. Wouldn't help here as you have disconnected the battery. I also have a rule that I open a door before I disconnect the battery. I put the carpet in the door jamb, so the door cannot be shut. (And almost always, I have the roof down.) None of this is any help to you right now though. I feel your pain.

Last edited:
Search "fan connector" there is a post there that talks about how to get into your xlr with a dead battery. I'm not positive this will work for you as I have never tried it but it's worth a shot. You need to get under the front end on the back side of the radiator there is the fan module, if you unplug the connector you can back feed power to the car by connecting positive 12 volts to the red wire and ground to the frame. Please research this first, I would hate for you to release the smoke.

You might try and fish a wire down over the glass and pull up the emergency door release inside the car. If you can get to the plug to the fan that shoukd work. Also as stated trunk does not op up it just releases and you manually have to lift the trunk. Dont try and keep twisting on the key hopeing the trunk pops up or you may damage the bumper lock system

This:

However DO NOT use a battery charger to attempt to apply power. Because your battery is disconnected, you risk frying all the electronics. Use a stable 12v supply, and this is at your own risk too.

(One of the functions of the main 12v battery is to absorb voltage spikes and other electrical nasties.)

Last edited:
You might try and fish a wire down over the glass and pull up the emergency door release inside the car. If you can get to the plug to the fan that shoukd work. Also as stated trunk does not op up it just releases and you manually have to lift the trunk. Dont try and keep twisting on the key hopeing the trunk pops up or you may damage the bumper lock system
Yes, do not use force on the key, it is possible to break the mechanism.

IF you had a working main battery (and you don't), turning the key in the rear bumper also activates the hydraulic pump and lifts the trunk deck for you.

But you don't.

The 'turn the key in the rear bumper' is also a mechanical release of the latch holding the trunk lid securely closed. So, with two people, while you turn the key, lift the trunk lid. You have to lift it slowly, against the hydraulics, it can be done. Do not force it.

Once the trunk lid is open far enough, use the mechanical release to open the driver's door. The release is on the left.

And next time, put something over the hood latch so you can't make this mistake again!

I belive it is possible (never done this), to provide power via the main cooling fan, if you can get underneath. Don't know if somebody else can confirm or deny this.

My additional 2c: I keep a link to the battery accessible by the passenger side wipers. Wouldn't help here as you have disconnected the battery. I also have a rule that I open a door before I disconnect the battery. I put the carpet in the door jamb, so the door cannot be shut. (And almost always, I have the roof down.) None of this is any help to you right now though. I feel your pain.
Thanks, worked perfectly. Just needed an extra hand to open, knew what to do but not that you need to hold the key turned while lifting. Thanks again.

Thanks, worked perfectly. Just needed an extra hand to open, knew what to do but not that you need to hold the key turned while lifting. Thanks again.
Thats great news. Can I ask a few questions?
1/ How much force did you need to apply to lift the trunk deck lid?
2/ How slowly do you lift up? Is it easy to control the lift speed? Do you get a sense that you are damaging the hydraulics in any way? How long did it take (a few seconds or minutes)?
3/ How far did you lift? Just enough to reach in and relase the driver's door, or a bit higher?

Thanks

Thats great news. Can I ask a few questions?
1/ How much force did you need to apply to lift the trunk deck lid?
2/ How slowly do you lift up? Is it easy to control the lift speed? Do you get a sense that you are damaging the hydraulics in any way? How long did it take (a few seconds or minutes)?
3/ How far did you lift? Just enough to reach in and relase the driver's door, or a bit higher?

Thanks
Not a lot of force, should have a friend lift slowly as you turn and hold key turned.
You are working against the hydraulics so don’t force the lift. Took about 10 seconds to open.
You can open the trunk all the way.

Not a lot of force, should have a friend lift slowly as you turn and hold key turned.
You are working against the hydraulics so don’t force the lift. Took about 10 seconds to open.
You can open the trunk all the way.
That is very helpful to know, thank you.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom