Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2009 headlight

My XLR/V(s)
2009 Red Jewel XLR
The diffuser disk in front of turn signal bulb has come dislocated. It has come loose from side mounting holes and settled loosely in front opening. Any suggestions on how to get it back into correct position?

Tough job. Some claim its easy but ive not found that. The light will have to be taken apart . it takes heat and very controlked heat . the outer clear lens is bonded to the grayish green reinfircement strip. Then that strip is bonded with a butyl product to the light gray housing. You have to heat that butyl area enough to soften it without getting too hot so that the outer comes loose from the bonding strip. Being an 09 hopefully been indoirs. That outer bonding strip on older headlights will break apart once removed. If your light has a bad drl lens, that is the one that has come loose id replace it while you have it apart for sure. I have a few left at xlrparts@yahoo.com. there is a company in winnapeg that rebuilds them about 700$ and replaces thir upper lens . ive seen them fail. Plus shipping back and forth. Drop me a line and ill help you to pull it out and show photos of whats needed .

Tough job. Some claim its easy but ive not found that. The light will have to be taken apart . it takes heat and very controlked heat . the outer clear lens is bonded to the grayish green reinfircement strip. Then that strip is bonded with a butyl product to the light gray housing. You have to heat that butyl area enough to soften it without getting too hot so that the outer comes loose from the bonding strip. Being an 09 hopefully been indoirs. That outer bonding strip on older headlights will break apart once removed. If your light has a bad drl lens, that is the one that has come loose id replace it while you have it apart for sure. I have a few left at xlrparts@yahoo.com. there is a company in winnapeg that rebuilds them about 700$ and replaces thir upper lens . ive seen them fail. Plus shipping back and forth. Drop me a line and ill help you to pull it out and show photos of whats needed .
The diffuser disk in front of turn signal bulb has come dislocated. It has come loose from side mounting holes and settled loosely in front opening. Any suggestions on how to get it back into correct position?
Thank you for your assessment. I have been told that by every one l have talked to locally. The next problem is finding someone who does that (locally). My simple solution question is why can’t it be pulled back in position thru base connection hole? (After removing light from car.) How could it come loose in the first place? Is this a common problem with 2009 lights?

Not really a common problem but ive seen a good number. Its held it with two snaps . they get hot . thats the reason it may have burned spots on it. If its hot and you hit a pot hole just right it can pop out. I superglue them in when i replace. If you send me a photo of the light to my email. Ill see what i can suggest. There is no access to the lens. If you pull the cover off the back you can get to the bulb. Thats all there is no access to anything inside the light. I spent half a day 5-6 years ago with a vacuum pump sucking onto the lens trying to snap it back in. Got a good hold on it but cold it stretched the vacuum tube before snapping into place. The yellow lens on the sides have done the same thing a few times ive seen. Same solution. Take it apart.. No other light ive ever seen in my 40 plus years is manufactured this same process. I was told one year gm pickup was close but ive never seen one. They were all recalled i understand.

this happened to me. i was able to reposition the lens when it happened to me, getting hold of it was fairly easy, then placing it in the correct position also doable, i did use some clear epoxy or gel superglue, i cant recall which, to glue it in place. it took about an hour to accomplish, i pretended i was doing arthroscopic surgery with chopsticks and some bamboo skewers. i used some adhesive putty on a chopstick, to maneuver the lens how i wanted it, and when done just unstuck the putty, being careful not to snap loose the fresh glue job. at various times i had as assistant kinda help with getting the glue onto a paper plate and onto the tip of the bamboo skewer to apply inside the light cover to the base of then lens. it turned out perfectly.

note this was all done at the kitchen table , not on the vehicle obviously.
also note, some people just snap the lens into little pieces and remove it completely from both headlights.
older xlr's had a problem with the lens melting/burning and turning an ugly baked yellow color. there are replacement lenses aftermarket. but the headlight with no lens doesnt look that bad. alot better than with the yellow burnt lens.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom