Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Well hell, no A/C!

MPRCTCL

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red XLR-V
Couldn't happen on a hotter day and naturally, after sitting at a hot car show for five hours.

The AC is only blowing hot air.

So far, I have observed:
  • Compressor is running when A/C is on.
  • No bad under-hood noises
  • No DTCs on Tech2
  • High-side pressure = 185 psi (per Tech2)
  • All doors and actuators seem to be moving properly (per Tech2)
  • All the sensors have realistic readings (per Tech2)
  • When I put a gauge on the low-side (assuming the low side is closest to the firewall) it pins the gauge at 80psi+ which is way too high, so I'm not adding freon
This may be a total coincidence, but maybe a clue instead. Since I got the car, I have had an interior noise, behind the radio and only when the heat was on. In fact, I think one of my first posts was about this and never solved. The noise sounds mechanical and does not change at all with different blower speeds. On with heat, off when you adjust the thermostat to not call for heat.

Well, that noise is gone with the heat and now comes on only when the AC compressor is running. The strange thing is, I cannot hear it under the hood. Admittedly, the supercharger is making a little noise, but I cannot tell when it is on or off under the hood but it is very pronounced inside the cabin. I know there really isn't much behind the radio to make noise, so I did a little more investigating. It is actually loudest up at the glass near the center speaker. I haven't tried pulling the fuse for the amplifier to confirm it is not coming out of the speaker, but I don't think it is.

I've attached a video so y'all can hear the mystery noise. I cropped the video down to nothing to keep the file size down and there isn't much to see anyway. I start with the phone by the radio face. then move around to various possible sources ending up back at the center speaker area. Then I turn off the air to make it perfectly clear which sound I was listening for.

Any ideas about the AC? Is the low-side port the one by the firewall? Anyone have a line on a V-compatible compressor when the tech tells me that's the problem? Any other things I can test before I take it in somewhere?

🫠

Attachments

• AC_interior_noise.mov
    3.8 MB

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics