Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top not working

CLWilson

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR
I have been posting in the new member thread, time to move on. I recently purchased a very nice Infrared 2006 XLR, but the top did not work. Previous owner said it need the hydraulic pump replaced. He had it laying in the trunk. So I replaced the pump (Top Hydraulics) Still no top function, but the trunk did open and close. I bit the bullet and purchased a Vertronix Tech 2 clone. (OBD2sales.com) After a top relearn, (Thanks "Rexster314" for posting the process, it would have taken me hours to find it) I was thrilled when the top went down. Very short lived, as the top would not go back up. I had to raise it manually. I had some lengthy conversations with member "Mickeytee" very helpful and informative. Thanks SO much!! I started over with the Tech2. Cleared all the codes from the top module, and did another Top Relearn. I am happy to report that the top is working perfectly now. I went thru the up-down sequence about 5 times and all is good. Now I can move on to the other small items that need attention. TPMS, Hood Stuts, CD Player, etc.
I would like to pay it forward and offer any members in the Tampa area access to my Tech2 if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_7324.JPG
    IMG_7324.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 12
awesome update. that was by far your biggest hurdle.
cd player, i've never used. lol,
hood struts? i got a stick for that!
tpms is a pita but very doable , any local shop can handle it,
i wont bother doing myself as dismounting tires is too difficult without a machine.
by the time you recreate the whole process its just cheaper to let a tire shop do it.
do you need tires by any chance?
now make sure that that little trunk area where the top hydraulics are doesnt get filled with water. store the car indoors... make sure the drain hole isnt clogged. i also keep a big towel in the trunk on the floor on that side just in case i get stuck out in the rain somewhere. catch the water before it runs thru the trunk carpet and into the compartment. my trunk doesnt leak much, but i have found a little dampness after a thunderstorm. these cars dont like to be parked anything but perfectly level in the rain. upwards slope no good, downwards slope no good. look at the trunk gaskets under the rear windshield and imagine where the water is supposed to drain. i keep mine in the garage. less worry. never had a convertible that didnt leak somewhere. this one is actually the best , as long as its level. hardtop seals well.

In summary - top was inoperable, you replaced the pump and performed a relearn and it went down but not up. Then after consulting with the experts you used the tech2 to clear the codes then do a relearn and it worked both up and down?

In summary - top was inoperable, you replaced the pump and performed a relearn and it went down but not up. Then after consulting with the experts you used the tech2 to clear the codes then do a relearn and it worked both up and down?
That is correct. The first top relearn was my first use of the Tech2. I probably didn't do it correctly. After I put the top up manually, nothing seemed to work because I got "top not secure" message. After clearing all the codes (about 12) I did the top relearn again very carefully. Top is working great! I have gone thru about 8 top up-down cycles without any issues.

awesome update. that was by far your biggest hurdle.
cd player, i've never used. lol,
hood struts? i got a stick for that!
tpms is a pita but very doable , any local shop can handle it,
i wont bother doing myself as dismounting tires is too difficult without a machine.
by the time you recreate the whole process its just cheaper to let a tire shop do it.
do you need tires by any chance?
now make sure that that little trunk area where the top hydraulics are doesnt get filled with water. store the car indoors... make sure the drain hole isnt clogged. i also keep a big towel in the trunk on the floor on that side just in case i get stuck out in the rain somewhere. catch the water before it runs thru the trunk carpet and into the compartment. my trunk doesnt leak much, but i have found a little dampness after a thunderstorm. these cars dont like to be parked anything but perfectly level in the rain. upwards slope no good, downwards slope no good. look at the trunk gaskets under the rear windshield and imagine where the water is supposed to drain. i keep mine in the garage. less worry. never had a convertible that didnt leak somewhere. this one is actually the best , as long as its level. hardtop seals well.
Thanks for the info "lextoy" I am aware of the flooding issues in the pump compartment. I park the XLR in a covered location. I have replaced the hood struts, and have new tpms sensors that will be installed next week at the local tire shop. Hopefully "mickeytee" is going to help me with the CD issue. (my wife has a massive CD collection) And you are correct, I have never had a convertible that did not leak.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom