Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Skid Bar/Lower Radiator Support Bracket Replacement

RubyRod

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl
I just replaced my Skid Bar. One of the mounting flanges snapped off. I'm sure it happened before I bought the car but I just noticed it recently.

I bought a multi-piece after market part for a little over $100:

There are also single piece aftermarket parts available at a little higher price point.

The quality of the aluminum is fine. The quality of the welds seems fine. The tolerances on the mounting points is marginal. The captive washers on the mounting bolts don't quite fit in the "U" channel on the mounting flanges. It took a bit of diddling in order to get the bolts started and snugged down. The washers have to make their own grooves as you tighten the bolts down. But they do make their way down where they belong. The captive nuts along the bottom rail for the Air Deflector don't quite line up with the holes in the center section of the Air Deflector. I had to tug & pull on the plastic of the Air Deflector to get all 3 bolts started. I could have opened up the holes in the Deflector with a drill bit but I REALLY didn't want to go there. The three "fingers" on each side for the speeds nuts used to attach the bottom of the Nose Cover are also a little iffy. I had to use an awl to push & pull the Nose Cover around a bit in order to align the holes and start the screws. But with a little bit of effort everything goes together.

One note: the bolts used to attach the bottom rail together are stainless. The lock washers are also stainless. But the nuts are carbon steel. I replaced the nuts with stainless in order to reduce the risk to corrosion. I wanted to use stainless lock nuts but I couldn't find a 6mm stainless lock nut at any of the local hardware or home centers. The captive nuts for the Air Deflector are brass or bronze so they shouldn't corrode.

Compared to the cost of the alternatives I think it's a suitable choice.

Did they change the square bar the slides inside the two tubes to aluminum or is it steel? Thats the part that will start corrosion

Did they change the square bar the slides inside the two tubes to aluminum or is it steel? Thats the part that will start corrosion
The the center bar on the one I received is aluminum. So are both of the vertical support sections. The only part that I could find that was steel were the nuts for the mounting bolts that hold the 3 sections together.

Ok well maybe they changed it. The one i got had a steel square bar inserted inside the two pieces and thats what held it together with the bolts Going thru it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom