Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The '1791' Video Unlock Code Re-enabled in XLR Navigation Software

Z1.

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Raven Black XLR
I modified the software running in my XLR Navigation radio to accept the '1791' video unlock code implemented in Cadillac Seville Navigation radios, but disabled (input masking) in software for SRX and XLR radios.

Cadillac XLR Navigation Software Modification - YouTube

*Piggybacked a checksum virus that adds or removes non-operational code in empty memory space to match the original checksum value.
*LSI Logic MPEG-2 480i video and Dolby AC3 playback are fully functional while driving.

is there a HOWTO for this?

Looks Awesome! Good luck on the next steps.

You have gotten further than anyone I've seen in my research. The best people did was make hybrid nav discs to re-load the old code that had the capability in it.

Working on It

is there a HOWTO for this?

I was thinking about making an how-to instruction manual in .PDF form. But maybe just wait for this:

I am currently converting the XLR Loading.KWI to SH-3 assembly and will post the data on Google Wiki for everyone to see. With the file in assembly format, one can then run simulations on a debugger and quickly see what files and subroutines (1400 and growing) need to be modified or removed. Amazingly, there are thousands and thousands of lines of instructions, but not all that much data. The Denso, (maybe a few Cadillac) programmers left so much unused code the .KWI file, that it's quite a mess. There is even instructions for network communications for Toyota and Lexus Radios in the file.

I may need some other programmers help, but completely stripping out all the moving vehicle limitations is coming soon.

If you are able to access the CAN bus to get to the character generator for the HUD, I saw a video a few years back where a guy was able to display the Valentine One output with alpha-numerics and arrows displayed on a Vette. Nothing ever came of it, but it would be very cool.

CCC :wave:

This set of postings has a lot of good information, including a link to a zip file with a lot of good .kwi information.

How to hack DVD nav - Hacks/Mods - AVIC411.com

I have confirmed the Toyota Denso gen 2/3 upgrade discs do work, including the 13.1 recent one but you don't get any of the voice navigation prompts while maneuvering the route.

It's worth losing that though, 5 year newer street and POI data make up for those losses. It would be nice like I said to put the voice prompts back in though.

I was thinking about making an how-to instruction manual in .PDF form. But maybe just wait for this:

I am currently converting the XLR Loading.KWI to SH-3 assembly and will post the data on Google Wiki for everyone to see. With the file in assembly format, one can then run simulations on a debugger and quickly see what files and subroutines (1400 and growing) need to be modified or removed. Amazingly, there are thousands and thousands of lines of instructions, but not all that much data. The Denso, (maybe a few Cadillac) programmers left so much unused code the .KWI file, that it's quite a mess. There is even instructions for network communications for Toyota and Lexus Radios in the file.

I may need some other programmers help, but completely stripping out all the moving vehicle limitations is coming soon.

Why not apply the known hardware hack?

HUD

If you are able to access the CAN bus to get to the character generator for the HUD, I saw a video a few years back where a guy was able to display the Valentine One output with alpha-numerics and arrows displayed on a Vette. Nothing ever came of it, but it would be very cool.

I believe the Corvette and XLR HUD are Class2.

Yes, XLR HUD is Class 2 serial data.

FWIW, the Coastal Tech Lockpick (no longer available) generated text that appeared in the top banner area instead of the normal XM info. It was pretty clunky, but was something.

You should E-mail them Z1, maybe they will give you some info since they don't make it anymore.

FWIW, the Coastal Tech Lockpick (no longer available) generated text that appeared in the top banner area instead of the normal XM info. It was pretty clunky, but was something.

I really don't like adding more devices to my XLR.

You should E-mail them Z1, maybe they will give you some info since they don't make it anymore.

I could be wrong, but I think Coastal Tech just had a ribbon cable going from the radio to a small module with audio and video inputs. They just bypassed the radio's video stream with their own and sent audio directly to the amplifier. No software modifications, just brute force. I also believe their module caused battery drain issues.

My XLR, destroys a AAA Interstate battery about once a year ( I think I open and close the top too much), and I don't want to encourage it to go through a battery any faster. That said, I am working on a LED backlighting kit for the XLR radio that will half it's energy usage.

I could be wrong, but I think Coastal Tech just had a ribbon cable going from the radio to a small module with audio and video inputs. They just bypassed the radio's video stream with their own and sent audio directly to the amplifier. No software modifications, just brute force. I also believe their module caused battery drain issues.

My XLR, destroys a AAA Interstate battery about once a year ( I think I open and close the top too much), and I don't want to encourage it to go through a battery any faster. That said, I am working on a LED backlighting kit for the XLR radio that will half it's energy usage.
That is incorrect. The Lockpick installed in between the XM module and the head unit. They snagged the data stream from the XM and replaced it with their own. There were no AV connections made. There were no real battery issues.

I had a bluetooth interface that replaced the onstar module that did drain the battery.

That is incorrect. The Lockpick installed in between the XM module and the head unit. They snagged the data stream from the XM and replaced it with their own. There were no AV connections made. There were no real battery issues.

I had a bluetooth interface that replaced the onstar module that did drain the battery.

Was thinking about some other company's product. Yea, Lockpick did work: would temporarily bypass the speed sensor so you could play DVDs while driving and would reconnect the speed sensor when you wanted to use the Nav.

Good Info:

This set of postings has a lot of good information, including a link to a zip file with a lot of good .kwi information.

How to hack DVD nav - Hacks/Mods - AVIC411.com

I have confirmed the Toyota Denso gen 2/3 upgrade discs do work, including the 13.1 recent one but you don't get any of the voice navigation prompts while maneuvering the route.

It's worth losing that though, 5 year newer street and POI data make up for those losses. It would be nice like I said to put the voice prompts back in though.

Thanks for this info about the Toyota Navigation disks. Shows how much better the software and support for Toyota/Lexus Denso radios are. Do you know of the Toyota model(s) this 13.1 disk is for? I want to get my hands on one.

Thanks for this info about the Toyota Navigation disks. Shows how much better the software and support for Toyota/Lexus Denso radios are. Do you know of the Toyota model(s) this 13.1 disk is for? I want to get my hands on one.
Generation 23 V13.1 U08
86271-GN23E-13
PT219-GN23E-13
464210-2270
2014 Version 13.1 map database has over 6 million miles of road and 8 million Point of Interest (ATMs, Restaurants, Hotels, Gas Stations, Emergency Facilities, Golf Courses, and more.)!
Lots of new data and features are added:
- Maps are updated by counties, by state and zip code.
- 200,000 miles of new verified roads
- 50+ Metro areas upgraded to fully navigable coverage level
- 100's of new subdivisions
Vehicle Compatibility:
2003 - 2004: Toyota 4RUNNER
2002 - 2006: Toyota AVALON
2002 - 2003: Toyota CAMRY
2001 - 2003: Toyota LAND CRUISER
2001 - 2003: Toyota PRIUS
2003 - 2004: Toyota MATRIX
2002 - 2004: Toyota SIENNA
2002 - 2003: Toyota SOLARA
2002 - 2003: Lexus ES300
2002 - 2003: Lexus ES330
2001 - 2005: Lexus GS300
2001 - 2005: Lexus GS430
2003 - 2004: Lexus GX470
2001 - 2003: Lexus LS430
2001 - 2003: Lexus LX470
2001 - 2004: Lexus RX300
2001 - 2004: Lexus RX330
2002 - 2004: Lexus SC430
2002 - 2005: Lexus IS300

Was thinking about some other company's product. Yea, Lockpick did work: would temporarily bypass the speed sensor so you could play DVDs while driving and would reconnect the speed sensor when you wanted to use the Nav.
My Lockpick did not override the speed sensor input.

Thanks

Generation 23 V13.1 U08
86271-GN23E-13
PT219-GN23E-13
464210-2270
2014 Version 13.1 map database has over 6 million miles of road and 8 million Point of Interest (ATMs, Restaurants, Hotels, Gas Stations, Emergency Facilities, Golf Courses, and more.)!
Lots of new data and features are added:
- Maps are updated by counties, by state and zip code.
- 200,000 miles of new verified roads
- 50+ Metro areas upgraded to fully navigable coverage level
- 100's of new subdivisions

Thanks for the info...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics