Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Mesh replacement grill?

C

Comfortzone

I am wanting to put a new grill in my 2006 XLR. It appears mesh is the only option. E&G has a top/bottom grill set for $582. Is there a blank in the middle for the emblem, or can it be installed and be all mesh without re-affixing the emblem?

Has anyone heard of any other grill options?

I put an E&G on the 2004 I use to own. It has the indent in it for the emblem. You have to take the emblem off your stock grill for use on the E&G.

I am wanting to put a new grill in my 2006 XLR. It appears mesh is the only option. E&G has a top/bottom grill set for $582. Is there a blank in the middle for the emblem, or can it be installed and be all mesh without re-affixing the emblem?

You could install a factory chrome grill.

You could use the V grill which started in 2006.

That's not true, Rod. All V's are OEM Mesh Grills, not aftermarket.

..... The only mesh grilles are aftermarket, i.e., E&G, etc.

I can check into ordering one. I will let you know.:wave:

Thanks!!

I have looked everywhere for a clean aftermarket grille that does not require the emblem being re-applied. I like Billet style or even mesh grilles, but I prefer them with no adornment.

I thought I would go with the E&G or the V-style grille, but I do not like the wide chrome framing around them.

A grille like I have, but in chrome, sounds like my only alternative.

Thanks!!

I have looked everywhere for a clean aftermarket grille that does not require the emblem being re-applied. I like Billet style or even mesh grilles, but I prefer them with no adornment.

I thought I would go with the E&G or the V-style grille, but I do not like the wide chrome framing around them.

A grille like I have, but in chrome, sounds like my only alternative.

Hey comfortzone
Check out this thread... looks like jamsto had one for sale a couple years ago, maybe he still has it??
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3872
The OEM part number is 25938126. I did a quick google search and found this: http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/compone...~grille-radiator-6y010050101-lc3m226yv67.html
At $331.57 this price is less than my cost... my cost is $397.

Sorry I ended up selling my a year ago to a XLR owner in Canada who wanted a front grill.

jamsto

As per the old post, I noticed even that chrome grill had a painted section on it. Is anyone aware of a chrome replacement grill that does not have any painted portion or even better, does not have to have the Cadillac emblem put back on it?

As per the old post, I noticed even that chrome grill had a painted section on it. Is anyone aware of a chrome replacement grill that does not have any painted portion or even better, does not have to have the Cadillac emblem put back on it?

I think you're stuck with a grille with the emblem and the lower portion of the grille painted. The only portion of the grille that's painted is the very bottom inch or so that lines up with the bumper cover... I left mine black, since you can't really see the area anyway.

I think you're stuck with a grille with the emblem and the lower portion of the grille painted. The only portion of the grille that's painted is the very bottom inch or so that lines up with the bumper cover... I left mine black, since you can't really see the area anyway.

Thanks!! I assume that is the route I will go.

I'm willing to pay to have a custom grille made, but I am not finding anyone that does that.

Thanks!! I assume that is the route I will go.

I'm willing to pay to have a custom grille made, but I am not finding anyone that does that.

I don't know of anyone that builds custom grilles either. I would imagine there is someone somewhere, but finding them might be a bit of a task.

There is another option. When I was developing my V-Grille for my Eldorado, I found a company that "Chromed" plastic. I shipped him my grille, He charged me $100 plus shipping, had it back to me in 3 weeks and it looked great. There are many companies across the country that can do this for you.

IMG_1479a.jpg

IMG_1481a.jpg

I tried to do it myself at first. How hard could it be to rough the original surface and spray on a few coats of paint. Boy was I wrong! NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CHROME PAINT!!!!!! I tried three times with three different products, all with the same result - the "chrome" paint dulled as soon as you put on the clearcoat. The last product I got directly from the Dupli-color regional rep (complete with prep instructions and all tools and equipment, same result).

Eldoado021.jpg

So I had to do a lotta searching to find someone to chrome the plastic surround. I contacted Ron Burnette at Metal Essense since he was closest to me. And he did an outstanding job (especially since he had to clean up after my screw-ups with all the paint and the price was more than reasonable).

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom